THE second relegation place in the York Minster Engineering League premier division was finally determined in midweek following Sporting Knavesmire's failure to win at second-placed Church Fenton.

The sides played out a 0-0 stalemate meaning Sporting finished below Hemingbrough United on goal-difference.

Knavesmire will, however, have one final chance to retain their place in the top flight due to the FA restriction on clubs being unable to field two teams at the same level of the national pyramid.

Given Pocklington Town have a team in the Humber League premier division, their second team, who topped division one, cannot be promoted.

This means that, while division one runners-up Easingwold Town will be automatically promoted, the team who finish third - which will be either Tockwith or Rawcliffe - will meet Knavesmire in a play-off for the last remaining place in the top tier.

Hemingbrough lost 3-1 to champions Old Malton St Mary's in their last game, Robert Scarr getting the consolation.

Dan Marshall and Max Fraser fired Kirkbymoorside to a 2-1 victory at Tadcaster Magnets, who finished their campaign only two points above the drop zone after a dismal recent run.

Chris Dyson put Huntington Rovers ahead at Thorpe United but the home side battled back to lead at the break thanks to strikes from Edward Wileman and Michael Braithwaite.

Dyson saw a second half lob bounce agonisingly over the bar as no further scoring took place.

Thorpe's win allowed them to leapfrog Rovers into fifth spot.

Malt Shovel continued their charge towards the division two title with a 4-0 victory over Brooklyn which means they need seven points from their last four games to secure the title.

Wayne Grainge (2), Jon Darnton and Ethan Macpherson struck for Clifford but they lost 5-4 at Cawood.

After many years of being also-rans, Wheldrake have been crowned division three champions after defeating title rivals Wombleton Wanderers 1-0.

James Smith, who took a rare game off from scoring, turned provider by setting up Chris Verzi for the all-important strike.

Stanley Wood, Mark Jackson and Daniel Spink netted for Helperby United in a 3-3 draw at home to Fulford. That result means Helperby must now win at Wombleton to gain promotion.

A draw would see the second spot go to either Wombleton or Heslington, depending on the result of Wombleton's final game with Elm Park.

Tom Wordsworth, Tom Hannan and Jack Spofforth bagged Fulford's goals in the draw.

Old Malton St Mary's moved up to second in the reserve 'A' division with a 2-0 defeat of Osbaldwick.

Champions Dringhouses took their goal tally in reserve 'B' to a 101 with a 7-1 defeat of Malt Shovel. Tockwith rose to second with a 2-1 defeat of promotion rivals Haxby Town.

Rufforth rounded off their reserve 'C' season with a 3-2 defeat of Cliffe.