A CONTROVERSIAL second-half penalty swung the momentum in favour of Ossett United as Tadcaster Albion were beaten 2-1.

The Brewers began the Evo-Stik League east division clash brightly and Paddy Miller saw his free-kick well claimed by United stopper Brett Souter before the same player sent a header onto the roof of the net.

The visiting bench were appealing for a penalty kick after Casey Stewart’s cross was blocked by the outstretched arm of Ossett skipper James Knowles. However, only a corner kick was given by the assistant.

Taddy went close again on 24 minutes when Miller curled a free-kick into Stewart but he could only volley wide of the mark.

Next, Will Annan jinked inside from the left flank and unleashed a dipping effort which crashed off the top of the crossbar.

Ossett soon threatened for the first time. First, returning Albion captain Michael Ingham denied Tom Greaves’ volley from six yards out before somehow stopping Aidan Chippendale’s low blast right on the line.

The Brewers started the second half where they left off as Miller’s thumping free-kick was well headed away before Joe Lumsden and Annan fired attempts off target.

Nevertheless, the contest swung just before the hour mark when Ossett were awarded a penalty kick.

Tom Corner’s cross was flicked on by Andy Monkhouse, ricocheting off the arm of Pete Davidson who was adjudged to have deliberately handled the ball. Greaves powered past Ingham to give the home side the lead.

This sparked Andy Welsh’s team into life – Ingham doing well to deny Monkhouse and Priestley before the hosts doubled their lead.

Priestley’s free-kick was parried by Ingham and Chris Chantler was quickest to react, turning home from close range.

Taddy ensured it was an interesting finale when the deficit was reduced on 79 minutes as Chris Howarth’s ball into the box was flicked home by Mycoe for his first goal of the season.

In the same division, Pickering Town grabbed a late equaliser in their 1-1 home draw with Spalding United. Ryan Blott was the hero again, netting in the final minute to salvage a precious point.

James Walshaw hit a brace as Scarborough Athletic won 4-2 at Bamber Bridge in the premier division. Ryan Watson and Michael Coulson were also on target for the Seadogs.

In the Northern Counties East League, Knaresborough Town claimed a 3-2 home win over Hemsworth Miners Welfare, with Luke Stewart, William Lenehan and Adam Baker the Town scorers. Harrogate Railway Athletic lost 4-1 at Worksop Town.

In the National League, George Thomson registered Harrogate Town's late winner in their 2-1 victory at Havant & Waterlooville after Michael Woods have levelled the scores.