ANOTHER goal for top scorer Joe Lumsden and a stunning free-kick from Paddy Miller saw Tadcaster Albion defeat Wisbech Town 2-0.

The victory was Albion’s fourth in a row as well as a second straight shut-out.

Simon Collins named the same starting 11 for the third match running as his side looked to solidify a place in the Evo-Stik East play-off spots.

Hosts Taddy started on the front foot with on-loan winger Luke Porritt causing problems from the off. He was sent galloping in behind on six minutes after a lovely flick around the corner from Lumsden.

As Porritt was forced wide, he crossed to Casey Stewart at the back post but he lost his footing at the crucial moment.

There was a moment of controversy on eight minutes as Toby Hilliard went to ground in the box wanting a penalty, which angered the Albion men who felt it was clear simulation. Referee James Unwin agreed it wasn’t a spot-kick.

Anger quickly turned to delight for the Brewers who broke the deadlock on 10 minutes.

There was neat interplay between Ellis Barkworth and Casey Stewart down the right-hand side before Jonathan Fairweather failed to clear the cross, allowing Lumsden to slide home from close range.

Wisbech’s first sight at goal arrived six minutes later when red shirts swarmed forward on the break. A dinked cross found Michael Frew who went for the spectacular, but volleyed wide of the mark.

This was a rare moment of danger for Taddy. Pete Davidson went close to adding a second, heading Stewart’s corner goalwards only for Dan Swan to push it wide of his left-hand upright.

Next, a cute clip in behind from Corey Roper released Lumsden, but he was denied by the onrushing Swan. The loose ball dropped to Aiden Savory who couldn’t adjust his feet to scramble the ball over the line.

Tempers soon flared again when Jack Keeble went flying into Casey Stewart with a hefty challenge. However, referee James Unwin allowed play to continue.

This clearly disgruntled the Brewers as both sides clashed in the next phase of play. Roper stormed into two full-blooded 50-50s before an altercation broke out on the floor, ending with the Albion midfielder being cautioned.

With calm restored, Lumsden threatened again as Porritt's pass sent the striker racing into the penalty area, but his attempted nutmeg was cut out by the recovering Sam Gaughran.

Taddy were forced into making their first change three minutes into the half when Roper picked up a knock, allowing Jason Mycoe to come on for his first appearance since November.

The visitors’ hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow a minute later when Miller scored a contender for goal of the season. Standing over a free-kick 30 yards from goal, the defender struck a thunderbolt which screamed into the top corner, leaving Swan with no chance.

Taddy looked to eliminate any chance of a Wisbech comeback. Casey Stewart showed great pace to race past Oliver Gale, latching onto Barkworth’s ball but Lumsden saw his scuffed shot blocked.

It took Wisbech 87 minutes to carve out a clear-cut chance – Hilliard doing well to burst past two yellow shirts and break through the Taddy back-line before firing wide of Ingham’s goal.

The match ended on a sour note when both sides clashed again on the touchline, which culminated in Town boss Gary Setchell being dismissed.

In the same division, Pickering Town claimed a welcome 2-1 away victory at Gresley FC.

After falling behind in the opening ten minutes, Paul Marshall's men roared back thanks to goals from Ryan Blott, from the penalty spot, and Daniel Earl.

In the premier division, Scarborough Athletic also netted a 2-1 away win, with James Walshaw and Michael Coulson scoring the Seadogs' goals at Marine.

In the Northern Counties East League top-flight, Harrogate Railway Athletic were beaten 2-1 at Albion Sports, with Luke McCrum claiming their consolation goal, while Knaresborough Town lost by the same scoreline at Hall Road Rangers.

It was a tough afternoon for Selby Town in division one. The Robins crashed to a 5-1 defeat at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic, with their one moment of cheer coming in the 78th minute when Christopher Bilton netted their only goal.

There was a fourth straight away success for Harrogate Town in the National League as they thrashed Braintree 4-0 at Cressing Road.

Jack Emmett, Mark Beck (2) and George Thomson were all on target for Town.