WIGGINTON Grasshoppers moved back into third place in the York Minster Engineering League premier division following a 5-3 win at Kirkbymoorside.

Only three top-tier fixtures were played at the weekend because of county FA cup ties - including a painful penalty shoot-out semi-final defeat for Huntington Rovers - and adverse weather conditions.

Matthew Tiplady hit a hat-trick in the opening 22 minutes to send Hoppers on their way, but a fightback from the home side saw Harry Clapham steer the ball into his own net as he tried to cut out a dangerous cross.

Joe Harland then made it 3-2 with a well-taken right-footed volley as the Moorsiders began to get on top with the break approaching.

But Wigginton pressed to restore their two-goal lead in the second period and, following a red card for a Kirkbymoorside defender, Eddy Clapham did just that, wrong-footing the keeper before firing home.

Jamie Willstrop then rounded several players and finished to make it 5-2 before Keelan Simpson found Dan Marshall unmarked five yards from goal at the other end, the Moorsiders striker firing home to complete the scoring.

Huntington, meanwhile, lost 6-5 on penalties at Yarm & Eaglescliffe in the North Riding County FA County Cup semi-final after 1-1 draw in normal time.

Rovers - second in the YMEL premier division behind Old Malton St Mary's - went a goal down in the second half and, after much pressure, including hitting the post and crossbar, and being denied by a couple of good saves, they finally equalised in stoppage time through Sam Pepper with a thunderbolt strike after an earlier effort had crashed off the bar.

However, this late joy was shortlived in the shoot-out. It was 4-4 after five penalties each and Rovers lost 6-5 in sudden death.

The strong wind and small pitch had not been to Rovers' advantage but on balance they probably deserved better.

Elsewhere in the YMEL premier division, Jonny Hadley scored the only goal of the game as Church Fenton continued their quest for a top-three finish with a hard-fought win over Dunnington.

Copmanthorpe's great escape from the lower reaches continued as they rallied from a 1-0 half-time deficit at Tadcaster Magnets to finish up convincing 7-1 winners at the final whistle.

Henry Copley gave Magnets the early lead, but six goals from striker Ben Jones in the second period - taking his total to 26 for the season - guaranteed the points headed the way of Copmanthorpe. Ellis Stephenson completed the visitors' haul.

MALTON & Norton caused the shock result of the day, defeating division one promotion-hopefuls Rawcliffe 2-1.

Bryde Freer and Brett Crowe grabbed the all-important goals for the home side, either side of a Niall Smallwood effort.

Third-placed Tockwith made light work of Bishopthorpe United, winning 12-2 thanks to a Marco Campagna collected a double h