THE top two in the York Minster Engineering League premier division both registered their first wins of 2019 at the first attempt, Huntington Rovers and Old Malton St Mary's continuing their title battle.

Huntington Rovers won 4-1 Tadcaster Magnets to ensure their lead at the summit remained intact.

Jon Paul Vass put the visitors in front early on but Magnets levelled and Rovers then had keeper James Edmond to thank for a couple of brilliant saves as the sides went in level at the break.

The second period was all Huntington as Alex Burton's attempt from the penalty spot was saved by Jack Chester only for Ash Hope to fire home the rebound. Danny Gray then converted another penalty before man-of-the-match Burton hit the fourth.

Old Malton found themselves in a scrap with Sporting Knavesmire, leading the Poppleton-based side 2-1 with 10 minutes to go.

However, when Knavesmire had a penalty appeal turned down they seemed to collapse and St Mary’s took full advantage, cracking in five goals in the remaining time to seal a 7-1 success.

On target for Saints were Marcus Godsell (2), Steve Baxter, Grant Bulmer, Jack Simpson (2) and Dean Nuttall.

Champions Wigginton Grasshoppers' woes continued as they let a two-goal lead slip in a draw at Copmanthorpe.

The hosts had an early penalty but Ben Jones failed to convert from the spot and this allowed Hoppers to take the lead on the stroke of half-time, Jack Thompson steering Harry Clapham's header into the net.

The second half saw Wiggy press further but Ben Sheehan was equal to everything they threw at him until Clapham rounded a defender and steered in a low shot in at the near post.

With the points seemingly in the bag, the visitors took their foot off the gas at the same time that Cop stepped up their game.

With 20 minutes to go, Lee Atkinson broke free of the Wiggy back line and fired home, and just three minutes later Jones powered a header in to equalise.

Chances followed at both ends but the game ended 2-2.

Dunnington's recent impressive form continued with a 5-1 triumph at Kirkbymoorside.

Tom Anderson, Joe Allerton, Darren Sellars and Samson Wildwood (2) found the scoresheet.

Dunnington now sit fifth, a place and three points ahead of Thorpe United who beat F1 Racing 2-0.

Osbaldwick collected their second victory of the season with a 4-1 win at Poppleton United. Debutant Nick Wright hit a hat-trick in their vital win, with regular marksman Isaac Clark adding the fourth.

Premier division side Church Fenton won 5-2 at Oxenhope to reach the quarter-finals of the West Riding County Challenge Cup. Jonah Beecher hit a hat-trick, with Chas Wrigley and an own goal also finding the target.

Pocklington Town extended their lead at the top of division one to seven points following a 2-1 home win over promotion rivals Tockwith.

James and Chris Saltmer netted for the hosts with Graham Hutchinson replying.

Strensall Tigers took the lead at Rawcliffe via an own goal but Niall Smallwood struck to ensure the status quo was maintained between the second- and third-placed sides.

Haxby Town upset fourth-placed Easingwold Town - despite losing their goalkeeper to a 10th-minute red card following his handball outside the area.

Joe Crosby put the hosts in front just after the break, but 10-man Haxby fought back to take the spoils 2-1 courtesy of an Adam Chaplin brace.

Cliffe won 3-1 at Malton & Norton thanks largely to goalkeeper Ally Harris giving the hosts some spot-kick woe.

Tom Hogg and Kieran Gallagher gave Cliffe a 2-0 head start, before Harris saved two penalties to preserve their lead.

Josh Evans added a third before Malton & Norton hit a late consolation.

Heworth started 2019 with an emphatic 9-0 success at home to Riccall United – Josh Winn hitting a double hat-trick.

Included in his tally was the goal of the game - a sublime 40-yard lob. John Moore (2) and Joe Cox also netted.

Stamford Bridge won the big game of the day in division two, defeating Civil Service 2-1 to move up to second and end Service's 14-month unbeaten away run.

Oli Newby struck on his debut to give Stamford the lead and Nathan Spreckley doubled it just after the break.

Declan Richardson's strike on the hour proved only a consolation for the visitors.

The Beagle continue to lead the promotion race as a Connor Larner hat-trick gained them a 3-1 win at Cawood.

Rufforth United stayed third as goals from Dave Melody (2), Leigh Dutton and James Ford went unanswered by Bubwith White Swan. Clifford saw off Brooklyn 4-1.

Wheldrake returned to the top of division three as goals from Chris Verzi, Alex Smith and Sam Greaves earned them a 3-0 success at LNER Builders.

Selby Olympia rose to fifth following a 7-0 victory over Elm Park. Fulford United and Walnut Tree shared four goals between them, Jack Spofforth and Sean Allan netting for the hosts.

Shane Bogg hit four goals for Crayke United in a 6-2 win over Swinton but was upstaged by team-mate Josh Patterson who netted an unbelievable strike. Jake Atkinson hit Crayke's sixth to seal their seventh success of the season.

Helperby defeated Stillington Sports & Social Club 3-0.

It was a day of stalemates in the reserve ‘A’ division with all four matches ending in draws.

Leaders Dunnington and champions Wigginton Grasshoppers played out a rare 0-0 stalemate.

Tom Knowles (2) and Ash Newton struck for Pocklington Town in a 3-3 share-all at Huntington Rovers, while Old Malton St Mary's and Thorpe United drew 2-2, as did Osbaldwick and Church Fenton.

Dringhouses moved to the summit of reserve ‘B’ after a 2-1 victory over title rivals Tockwith.

Rhys Bailey fired Houses ahead but Ryan Sledge struck back for the visitors just after the break. Reece Botterill netted the winner late on.

Malt Shovel stayed fourth with a 5-0 triumph at home to Wilberfoss, while Copmanthorpe edged a nine-goal thriller at Bishopthorpe United thanks to goals by Kieran Nelson (3), Reece Maynard and Bradley Urquhart.

Jordan Elliot and Will Carry were on target for Stamford Bridge but a rampant Haxby Town beat them 5-2 thanks to goals by James Gilbertson, Kieran Ledger (2) and Paul Homes (2).

Tadcaster Magnets edged hosts F1 Racing 1-0.

In reserve 'C', Cliffe ended Rufforth United's unbeaten record by beating them 3-2, while Harrison Signs defeated Sporting Knavesmire 3-1 thanks to goals by Mark Benton (2) and Charlie Cook. Lucas Owen got the reply.

Ben Bailey was sent off for Wheldrake as they lost 3-0 to Brooklyn in their bottom-of-the-table clash. It was the Ryedale side's second win of term.