YORK & District Schools Under-11s won the Green Un Cup for the first time since 2014, overcoming Scarborough 'A' in a tense final after an unbeaten group stage.

With the tournament having been reformatted as a one-day event, York had to overcome the likes of Scarborough 'B', Leeds 'B', Eastwood, Nottingham and Leeds 'A' almost without pause.

Kiam Browne was the dominant force in York's League Two group stage opener as they began their campaign with an emphatic 4-0 win over Scarborough 'B' .

The next game against Leeds 'B' proved a much tighter affair, York winning 1-0 through Alex Widdup's fantastic goal.

Two 100 per cent records then went on the line as York came up against Nottingham, but the sides could not be separated and shared a 0-0 draw.

York returned to winning ways against Eastwood, who they saw off 2-0 thanks to goals from Luke Woodhead and Leo Berriman.

With Nottingham finishing top of the group, York faced League One winners Leeds 'A' in a tight semi-final of few chances.

Charlie Thompson's strike in the 1-0 win was enough to see them through to the final against Scarborough 'A'.

The decider was a high-tempo affair, and saw York concede their first goal of the day with a superb volley from a corner.

Scarborough put on a good defensive display to protect their lead, but top-scorer Thompson drew York level with a deflected free kick.

The teams went into a thrilling penalty shoot-out, and were still level-pegging at 4-4 after the first five spot kicks. Keeper Jack Yates eventually scored the winner to see York through 9-8.

Arthur Jefferson-Hallet was voted player of the tournament for a resolute display at centre-back.

York Schoolboys U12s came back from a goal down to earn a 3-1 friendly win at East Riding.

The game was played as 11-a-side ahead of next season's change from the current nine players.

East Riding seemed to adapt the quickest and had the best of the opening stages, taking the lead after 10 minutes with a low drilled shot.

York began to grow into the game and they almost found an equaliser as Ronnie Kelly received the ball from Ben Myers and turned his marker, but his pass to Dan Gallagher was intercepted.

On the half-hour mark, Paul Iggulden drew York level as he followed up his own saved near-post effort from a corner to finish from six yards out.

York were ahead soon after through Fraser Clarke's long-range lofted shot after Almond's left-wing cross was only half cleared.

The hosts remained a threat, but keeper Henry Jackson kept them contained as he commanded his penalty area, claiming through-balls and crosses.

With 12 minutes remaining, Reuben Pugh - who had looked good down the left all day - got the third with a powerful half-volley from Gallagher's ball in.

The closing stages of the game proved great entertainment as East Riding pushed forward in search of a way back into the game, while York remained a threat on the counter-attack, but both defences held firm to see out the game.

Dylan Jones was man of the match.