TADCASTER Albion were unable to stifle the league’s hot shots South Shields, who bounced back with a 2-0 away victory after their 3-1 Evo-Stik League Division One North defeat on New Year’s Day at home to Scarborough Athletic.

Gavin Cogdon put the visitors ahead on the half-hour, after jinking his way into the box and driving the ball into the far corner, and they made sure of the three points in the dying stages, courtesy of forward Carl Finnigan.

It was always going to be an extremely tough challenge for Michael Morton’s men, with the manager being slightly disappointed afterwards with his lack of fire-power.

Morton intended to go with the same 11 that dispatched Brighouse Town on New Year’s Day but Pete Davidson was only fit enough for the bench so Aaron Hardy started.

As expected, the Mariners, led by 36-year-old Julio Arca, dominated the ball and pushed and probed in the early moments.

Taddy, who needed a sublime last-ditch challenge from skipper Andy Milne to stay level in the 20th minute, had to make a change a minute later as Adam Baker dropped to the floor, being replaced by Conor Sellars.

Shields, whose used right back Alex Nicholson to start most of their attacks, continued to ramp up the pressure, and broke the deadlock in the 31st minute.

Hardy’s intended cross-field switch failed, and Gavin Cogdon drove into the box, cut inside Milne and clipped the ball powerfully into the far corner.

Matthew Pattison jinked inside Aiden Savory and fired just over minutes later, but the Brewers needed a combination of keeper Michael Ingham and Milne to deny the visitors in the 38th minute.

Carl Finnigan was found just a few yards out on an acute angle and was superbly denied by the former Northern Ireland keeper before Milne dug Cogdon’s follow-up header off the line.

Albion came out in the second half rejuvenated and revitalised but Ingham was called into action again five minutes into the half.

Pattison executed a lovely reverse ball to Finnigan, who couldn’t beat the huge figure of Ingham.

A couple of minutes later, Morton was forced to make another alteration as left back Lawrance Hunter pulled up and was replaced by Jason Mycoe.

Left back Darren Lough’s sizzling strike was well held by Ingham before the only moment of controversy in the match occurred on the hour as Finnigan caught Josh Barrett with a loose arm.

This upset the Taddy players and bench as Barrett suffered concussion and was forced off, with Finnigan only receiving a yellow card.

Josh Greening came on in Barrett’s place, with Savory filling in at the back.

As the pitch began to cut up, Taddy were sniffing out a potential point with 20 minutes to go.

But Ingham again had to shine at the other end, throwing out a hand to tip over Dillon Morse’s close-range flick.

However, there was only so much Ingham could do as Shields doubled their lead five minutes from time.

A long ball caught out Taddy as Jamie Holmes ran clear on goal but although Ingham did outstandingly well to stop the substitute, Finnigan turned in the rebound after Holmes had squared the ball.

The Brewers huffed and puffed but only recorded their first shot on target in the fourth minute of stoppage time as Joe Pugh danced between two defenders before forcing Liam Connell into a comfortable save.