TADCASTER Albion tasted defeat in their first trip to the Flamingo Land Stadium as Scarborough Athletic ran out comfortable 3-0 winners on Boxing Day.

Former York City player Michael Coulson got the ball rolling for the home side but Albion squandered a gilt-edged opportunity to respond immediately through Aiden Savory.

Steve Kittrick’s side doubled their advantage nine minutes into the second half when Nathan Valentine was on-hand to tap in before James Walshaw saw his shot deflect in off Andy Milne for number three.

Taddy bosses Michael Morton and Simon Collins will look back at the missed chances from Savory and Josh Greening at crucial points of this Evo-Stik division one north clash.

They made just a single change to Saturday’s draw against Ramsbottom United as club captain Milne returned in place of Jason Mycoe.

The raucous Boro fans almost had reason to celebrate inside the first five minutes as James Cadman’s chipped effort was superbly kept out by the outstretched arm of Michael Ingham.

Taddy’s first opportunity to test Tommy Taylor in the Scarborough goal came a couple minutes later but Conor Sellars’ free-kick sailed harmlessly over.

It was tit-for-tat in the opening stages as Josh Greening slipped at the pivotal time as Corner glanced down in the box before Valentine’s header was well read by Ingham at the other end.

However the deadlock was broken on 17 minutes. Sprightly wide-man Max Wright was causing Albion problems from the off and it was his positivity that led to the opening goal.

Wright drove inside and dug out a left-footed shot which Ingham could only parry, allowing Coulson to follow up with the rebound.

Nevertheless, it should have been all square again two minutes later as the Brewers passed up a glorious chance.

Sellars curled a ball in behind, setting Corner away down the right-hand side and he delivered it on a plate for Savory – but the forward side-footed over the bar from seven yards.

As the first half ticked by, Josh Barrett kept Boro within touching distance as he blocked Coulson’s shot before picking himself up and clearing off the line with Dave Merris flying in for the rebound.

The Brewers failed to take another good chance to equalise at the start of the second half.

Corner nodded down into the path of the advancing Josh Greening, who helped over the keeper but also over the goal from nine yards.

Tadcaster were punished moments later as the home side took control by netting a second goal.

Boro captain Merris cut inside both Greening and Howarth before seeing his cross deflect kindly into the path of Valentine who couldn’t miss from two yards out.

It seemed to be one of those days after Savory’s miss, as his cross for Corner was a fraction too high for the number nine to guide on target.

With the match slipping away from Taddy, Morton threw both Adam Baker and Joe Pugh on with half an hour to go to try and exploit their pace in behind Boro’s back-line.

The second half soon became a non-event though, as Scarborough made sure of the points with a third goal 20 minutes from time.

Walshaw pinned and turned defender Chris Howarth before his low driven cross took a wicked deflection off Milne, leaving Ingham with no chance.

Tadcaster Albion: Ingham, Howarth, Hunter (Hardy 69), Roper, Milne, Barrett, Sellars, Davidson, Corner (Pugh 62), Savory (Baker 62), Greening. Unused subs: Mycoe, Stewart.

* HARROGATE Town slipped to a 3-1 National League North defeat at Darlington on Boxing Day.

Simon Weaver's second-placed side were quickly 2-0 behind as striker Reece Styche hit a brace for the hosts – with the opener coming from the spot.

And although Simon Ainge pulled a goal back in the 65th minute, Darlington netted again in the closing stages when Stephen Thompson converted another penalty.

Harrogate saw both Warren Burrell and Terry Kennedy given their marching orders at Blackwell Meadows.