MARK Beck's initial two goals for promotion-chasing Harrogate Town gave them an impressive victory at Vanarama National League Wrexham in the first round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

The striker's first effort against his former club, who made seven changes and fielded a young side, came four minutes before half-time as he guided George Thomson's floated cross into the back of the net.

The former Darlington man's second was much easier after Ryan Fallowfield's excellent cross found Beck at the back post to convert.

Simon Weaver made four changes from the starting XI that faced Kidderminster Harriers 11 days before and handed a first start of the season to Lloyd Kerry after a nine month injury lay-off.

Vanarama National League North Town made a bright start and were the first to go close as Beck couldn't quite make the right contact on Joe Leesley's cross to find the bottom corner.

The former Wrexham man did make good contact moments later though as his sweetly-struck left-footed effort skimmed off the wet surface just past the far post.

The Dragons' first opportunity arrived just after the half-hour as Scott Boden flicked a header towards goal, but James Belshaw was equal to it.

Ten minutes later, Beck found the net in Town colours for the first time with a well-placed header.

Terry Kennedy almost doubled Town's lead four minutes after the restart when his header bounced up, though Christian Dibble was able to turn the attempt round the post.

Wrexham made a double change in an effort to get back into the game, though a well-timed block from Warren Burrell to deny George Miller a shot at goal kept the score at 1-0 past the hour mark.

Beck claimed his second goal of the afternoon in the 69th minute as he peeled off his marker at the back post to head home Fallowfield's excellent cross.

With a two-goal lead, Town looked comfortable, though almost saw their clean sheet disappear in the 84th minute when substitute Cameron McGregor rattled the inside of a post with a snapshot from just inside the box.

That was the closest Wrexham would come to finding the net though as Town, who were backed by 65 fans, held on to claim an impressive result against National League opposition.

Scarborough Athletic, who have signed Bailey Gooda on a one-month loan from Harrogate Town, beat visitors Ossett Town 3-1 in Evo-Stik Division One North.

Kai Hancock gave Town the lead on 40 minutes, but Max Wright equalised on the stroke of half-time.

Daniel Stimpson then netted four minutes into the second half for the Seadogs, and the prolific Michael Coulson finished the scoring 14 minutes later as the home side stayed in fifth.