OVINGTON were crowned HPH York Vale Cricket League division one champions after beating Stockton & Hopgrove in the final match of the season.

It was their first title since 2013, with the only blemish on their league record this season being a first-day defeat against Burn, since which they have strung together 17 division one games without defeat.

Westow finished second, having gone into the last day with hopes of one late twist in the title race.

Those hopes would have risen as Stockton got off to a blistering start thanks to makeshift opener Dan Fairclough, who smashed 37 before he was bowled by Dom Kitching (2-43). But a mini-collapse followed, before Simon Kale (50) took Stockton to 136 all out.

Ovington lost a couple of quick wickets to Dean Tyler to give Stockton - and Westow - further hope, but Joe Whale (29) and Craig Nicoll (78no) saw the champions home in the 20th over with seven wickets in hand.

Westow finished eight points behind in second. They proved too strong for relegated Ben Johnson, who posted 137-9. Westow openers Mark Earle (61) and Andrew Welford (51no) enjoyed a partnership 93 to set their side up for an eight-wicket win.

Melbourne were 36-2 against Kelfield when Ollie Steels came to the crease. When he was out in the 33rd over, the score had progressed to 158 of which his contribution was 83 containing five fours and five sixes. The pick of the bowlers was Craig Lawson (4-29).

Kelfield were 72-3 after 18 overs and in contention but Ben Shingles put paid to that as he took a scintillating 7-9 in 4.2 overs to skittle them for 99.

Askham Bryan’s Pete Wood took 5-8 from seven overs as Clifton Alliance were reduced to 42-6. Allan Barton (44no) and Paul Thorpe put on 47 to see Alliance to 115 all out. Askham made a good start to the reply before losing seven wickets for 43 runs. Captain Chris Copeland and man-of-the-match Wood joined forces to see their side home, Wood sealing victory with a towering six over long-on.

Ed Clarke finished his season by adding a score of 85 not out to his already healthy batting average to steer Burn to 165 at Wheldrake. But home captain Anthony Carter (100no) was never in trouble against the Burn attack and guided Wheldrake to victory in the 37th over.

Division two champions Thixendale were pushed hard by Hirst Courtney before securing a 17-run win.

Thix’s batsmen struggled to 127 all out in 31.3 overs after being a solid 62-2. A trio of Hirst bowlers, led by Luke Mitchell (4-34), performed well.

Bowlers continued to dominate as Hirst were reduced to 22-6 before being bowled out for 110. Joe Megginson led the home attack with figures of 10-5-9-4.

Ovington II secured second place behind Thixendale with a comprehensive win at Malton & Old Malton.

The home side were bowled out for 68, Roger Simonsen’s 5-22 including four bowled and one caught and bowled. Ovington captain Liam Herringshaw hit a brisk and chanceless 37 not out to ensure that, although three wickets fell, his side overhauled the target before drinks.

Thorpe Willoughby beat Stamford Bridge II by four wickets at Field Lane.

Stamford only had 83 on the board after 31 overs but B Hewitt (26no) and Dave Langton (45no) put on 67 in the last nine to see them close on 150-5. Thorpe’s bowling effort was underpinned by veteran Dave Watson conceding a meagre nine runs from his opening eight-over spell. Andy Kirk top scored with 55 as Thorpe got home with nine overs left.

South Cave & Brantingham had a comfortable win at Yapham where Sid Sharma continued his good form. Yapham made just 67, Sharma taking 4-12. Cave reached their target having only lost one wicket, Sharma (36no) and Oliver Pierce (27no) completing the job.

Press Performance of the Week: Ben Shingles took 7-9 in 4.2 overs to earn Melbourne victory against Kelfield in division one.