THE Pilmoor Evening Cricket League reached a thrilling climax when Newburgh won a cliffhanger at Sessay to leapfrog their opponents and take their first title since 1991.

Newburgh, starting the night one point behind their hosts, but won by three runs, skipper Tommy Banks the hero when restricting Sessay to just four runs off the final over.

The game was one of only two played in the first division, with the only other completed fixture seeing Sheriff Hutton Bridge inflict another defeat on Alne, who have ended the season without a win.

Helperby conceded their fixture at Acomb, while rain prevented any play between Thirsk and Clifton Alliance - the fifth time that has happened to Thirsk this term.

Newburgh made a steady start in their title decider as Tommy Banks and Mark Mierzwinski

took the score to 56 in ten overs.

The pace gradually accelerated and the partnership was worth 109 when Banks was dismissed for 45.

The closing overs proved productive as Luke Ramsay and Mierzwinski took them to 149, the opener finishing a prolific season on 68 not out and Ramsay falling off the last ball for 33.

Sessay's reply began positively as Stuart Peirse and Mark Jackson kept up with the asking rate. Peirse was stumped off Wayne Linton for 22, but Jackson and Chris Till kept the score moving with the occasional boundary and aggressive running.

Banks returned to bowl at the death and struck a vital blow when he dismissed Till for 31, but Sessay were favourites with eight needed for victory in the final over. Seven would have been enough for the title too, by virtue of a tie.

The first three balls all yielded singles in the fading light, but crucially Jackson was bowled by

Banks’ fourth delivery for a superb 73.

Banks (3-28) struck again next ball and Sessay could only manage a single from the final delivery, closing three runs behind and having to settle for runners-up spot for the second successive season.

Sheriff Hutton Bridge posted 197-3 at Alne with Jordan Grose making 100 and Harry Sutcliffe 74 not out. The beleaguered hosts were bowled out for 49 by Danny Clipston (3-10),

Tom Magee (3-2) and Marcus Thompson (2-14).

Second division champions Dringhouses ended their season with another big win, over Civil Service.

Sam Lingard retired on 51 as they reached 155-4, before Service were bowled out for 58, Lewis Rennison taking 3-11, Ben Johnson 4-14 and Andy Page 2-1.

Crayke ended a much-improved season on a high when they beat neighbours Easingwold by 27 runs. Crayke’s 132-2 saw Mark Hutchinson (50) and Peter Carr (51) register half-centuries before Easingwold replied with 105-8. Max Cosgrove (44) kept Easingwold in the hunt, but James Pocklington (2-16) and James Wentworth (3-27) proved Crayke’s match-winners.

Raskelf concluded their best campaign in years with victory over visitors Sheriff Hutton.

Geoff Schofield (37) helped Sheriff to 125-8, Toby Baker taking 4-17 and Brad Clark 2-8. Raskelf lost early wickets as David Hull (3-20) struck back but Austin Baker (48no) and Brad Clark (40no) took Raskelf to a seven-wicket win.

Huby saw off Rowntrees & Huntington after totalling Huby’s 153-1 through Brian Leckenby (53), James Skelton (50) and Sean Dixon(37no).

R&H responded through Dave Ward (36) and Max Hunter (23no) but Mark Swales (2-24) and Iain Varney (2-17) tipped the balance Huby’s way as the visitors closed on 129-4.