LAST season’s champions Bubwith won their final game of the season against Osbaldwick to guarantee their top-tier Foss Evening League status for 2018.

The Hattee family were the main contributors to the Osso total of 122-5 from 18 overs, with James (56) and Matty (20) providing early impetus.

However, the innings didn’t get the big finish it deserved, with fielder Simon Houlder taking two good catches.

Richard Readman (59) and Charlie Lambert (26) then broke the back of the below-par total, with Readman spanking several sixes to the short boundary.

Cameos from Freddie Collins (14) and Houlder (17) then helped Bubwith home in 15.3 overs.

The three points Bubwith gained spared them the drop and propelled them into joint second place with Osbaldwick, such was the compact nature of the division.

Both Yapham and Woodhouse Grange went into their game knowing that they needed a win to guarantee survival.

Woodhouse started brightly, with Chris Suddaby keeping it tight in the middle of Yapham’s innings with 3-6 off four overs to help restrict them to 74-8 from their 16 overs, with Martin Pearson top-scoring with 25.

The successful Woodhouse chase was led by Josh Jackson, his 55 not out seeing him end the season with an average of more than 200 from his four innings.

Jackson, who hit five sixes, had also picked up a couple of wickets in Grange’s nine-wicket win. Scott Hardwick got the only wicket to fall after some excellent glovework by Alex Nattrass.

Despite defeat, Yapham stayed up at the expense of Middleton & North Dalton by virtue of winning more away games as both sides finished on 18 points.

M&ND picked up a win in their last fixture when already-relegated Dunnington conceded.

Heworth confirmed their top-flight dominance in with a comfortable victory over Dunnington Academy.

Openers Will Huffer (26) and Sean Leetham (15) got Heworth off to a flier with a stand of 45 at ten an over before both fell within one over.

Captain Chris Barratt knocked 20 off ten balls, however, before being caught on the boundary by Harry Claxton.

That triggered a wobble as four wickets fell for 14 before Rob Carlill (26) and Reece Milner (35) racked up a partnership of 71 to allow Heworth to post 149-7.

Harry Paver picked up his third wicket off the last ball of the innings, having struck twice with his first three deliveries, to end with 3-12.

The Academy failed to get their chase going, with Alfie Oliver dismissing Dan Andrew for a duck, followed by the run out of Greg Ashcroft, also without scoring.

Josh Archer (35) put up some resistance with Claxton in a 55-run partnership but fell to spinner Tom Morritt, who followed that with two wickets in the next three balls, narrowly missing a hat-trick.

The Academy slumped from 56-2 to 56-5 and closed on 76-5, with Claxton remaining unbeaten on 24.

York's hopes of completing the Division Two season undefeated were ended by Retreat, who thumped the Clifton Parkers by 56 runs.

Retreat’s Buddi Mirando fell to some lovely bowling from Ben Harris but Angus Campbell (36) hit the ball to all parts before a mix-up with Salman Syed saw him run out.

After Richard Exley was out cheaply, Bruce Kitchener (12) joined Syed, who passed his half-century in style.

After Kitchener’s departure, Syed and Adam Mosley put on a quick 20 to close the innings on 139-6, with Syed 71 not out.

York were in trouble at 1-1 after two overs, only for Tom Spearman to hit three sixes off Adam Mosley’s second over.

However, he departed for a seven-ball 28 as Campbell took a catch off Kitchener, who ended with figures of 4-30 with some excellent away-swing bowling.

Having made inroads into the York order, acting skipper Kitchener turned to spin, and Graeme Byrne brought the game to a rapid conclusion with 5-14 off 2.4 overs.

It was also a night to remember for Retreat’s stand-in wicketkeeper Anthony Middleton, whose efforts behind the stumps yielded three stumpings and two catches.

Batting was never going to be easy under leaden skies at Bishop Wilton, where relegated visitors Heworth Colts were restricted to 59-4, Pearce Lindley batting well for 22 not out.

In reply, Brian Morritt bowled well in tandem with Lee Ford, but the score was surpassed for the loss of six wickets, with Matthew Jones steering the Wilton innings home.

Andy Mudd struck 37 in Barmby Moor’s 94-7 against Tang Hall Tigers, whose John Moore took five wickets.

Sam Appleton replied with five wickets of his own - four in one over - as Tigers were bowled out for 43.

Appleton also instigated a run out, and Mudd completed a fine all-round performance with three wickets, while Harry Shipley claimed the other two.

In Division Two, Thixendale were blown away by a far superior Aviva Vikings, who secured promotion in style.

The night belonged to spinner Kanhu Charan Pattnayak (4-1-15-5), who was brought in as a late replacement.

His spectacular spell took care of Thix’s middle order and he would have had a hat-trick but for a dropped catch.

He also engineered a run out as Thix were skittled for 54 in 12 overs, with Adbid Hussain finishing off the tail with three wickets.

Joe Robinson (10) and Jonny Gillingham (14) were the only Thix players to reach double figures.

Thixendale had a glimmer of hope when Ben Jackson took a wicket in the first over.

However, Qudrat Azizi (28) hit four boundaries and a six to speed Vikings to an eight-wicket win with ten overs to spare.

Jamie Kerrison (28) and Richard Cockerill (34) started briskly for Stockton & Hopgrove against Westow, but were reined in by Jacob Stephenson (2-14) and Will Hughes.

The other Stockton batsman failed to carry on from the early progress and had to settle for 98-5 at the turnaround.

Stephenson and Nathan Pratt got Westow off to a rapid start, followed by Kristian Pickering smacking three quick boundaries.

Quick wickets pegged Westow back, however, until a partnership between Matthew Smart and Hughes progressed them towards the target, Hughes winning the game with a straight six.

After a photocall for Stillingfleet, playing in what they fear would be their last game of cricket at the Moreby Lane ground, the home side signed off on a winning note.

They beat nine-man Melbourne, who were 12-2 after two overs.

Thanks to Lucas Stephenson (43no), the visitors recovered and posted a reasonable 95, with all six Stillingfleet bowlers picking up wickets, with Chris Woodfine (2-1-1-2) and Matt Walker (4-1-13-2) leading the way.

Stillingfleet lost the early wicket of Phil Corfield.

After that it was the battle of the brothers as Scott and James Coupland bowled against big-hitting brothers Matt and Chris Walker for the next five overs.

James Coupland picked up the wicket of Matt (19), when he was caught by Stephenson, but Chris was the higher-scoring brother as he carried his bat for 39 as Fleet knocked off the total required in the 13th over.