WOODHOUSE Grange fell agonisingly to defeat by a solitary run to Foss Evening League division one leaders Bubwith – despite a magnificent 49-ball unbeaten 101 from Steve Burdett.

Bubwith had set an imposing 155-4 in 18 overs thanks to Charlie Lambert (33) and Mark Holmes, who plundered nine fours and three sixes in his unbeaten 74.

Grange lost two early wickets to successive deliveries from Guy Brumfield (2-37), but Burdett thumped an unbeaten ton containing 11 fours and three sixes.

Needing 14 to win from the last over, Burdett hit two fours but Connaire Bratton closed out the over well as Bubwith held on by one run.

Osbaldwick got off to a good start against York in the clash of the bottom two by clinching two early wickets.

York proceeded to move from 49-2 to 104-8 at the break, Darren Harris scoring 32. Osbaldwick’s chase never kicked on after this and they finished on 66-7.

Melbourne’s Tim Blackmore (36no) and Oliver Steels (84no) batted out the 18 overs against Stockton & Hopgrove in division two. Steels’ innings included 11 boundaries and two maximums as Stockton used six bowlers in a vain effort to break through.

Stockton’s Rich Kerrison was out first ball, caught by Harry Collins, who returned bowling figures of 3-0-15-3 as Melbourne won by 20 runs despite the efforts of Tom Hodgson (40) and Jamie Kerrison (47no).

After a torrential downpour which left the Bishop Wilton field flooded, all the players hot-footed back to a dry Heworth to get the game on.

Heworth posted 96-3 in 12 overs with Sean Leetham making 57 and Phil Holland 37. A young Wilton side’s reply never really got going and they finished on 61-8.

Retreat slipped to their third straight defeat, losing to Bishopthorpe by seven wickets. Ben Lodge (35no) helped Retreat to 115-6 but the Bishops won easily with Tom Anderson hitting a quickfire 41 and Scott Clapham 46 not out.

Yapham took another stride towards the divisional title by cruising to victory against Barmby Moor, who managed 116-7 in their 18 overs. All Yapham’s batsmen chipped in with high teens before Martin Pearson (24) and Luke Cattle (26no) finished the job in 14 overs.

Tang Hall Tigers continued their division three title chase in only their third season by beating Ovington.

Tom Ashby, back in the country after playing for the Blighty Ducks in the Dubai Desert Premier League T20 tournament, was caught behind early on but Craig Nicoll (22) and Tom Armes (40) rebuilt Ov’s innings which finished on 127-6.

Andy Parkinson (30), John Flint (25) and Daz Gargan (22) chased down the target confidently, with Ovington resorting to using all ten bowlers to prise them out. The most successful was Dickie Buckley (3-14) while Nicoll went for 27 from his solitary over.

Westow lost Jack Boyd in the first over against Retreat II to Nadeem Shefta (3-16).

However, Mathew Shipley finished on 67 not out as the villagers totalled 143-7.

Shefta (44no) was the only real danger as tight Westow bowling, particularly by Ali Fothergill (3-27), secured victory.

Woodhouse Grange Academy knocked off Thixendale’s 102-5 with two balls and six wickets to spare thanks to senior player Mike Burdett (37).