NEW boys Michael Coulson and John McReady both got on the scoresheet as York City eased into pre-season with an 8-0 win at Huntington Rovers.

Youth-team winger Reece Kelly also bagged a second-half brace with Paddy McLaughlin, a Dave Hartas own goal, Jamie Reed and Liam Henderson completing the rout.

The Minstermen also ran the rule over triallist midfielder Oliver Banks, while manager Gary Mills went close to finding the target himself during a 12-minute substitute cameo role.

Coaches Richard Dryden, Steve Torpey and Des Lyttle took to the pitch as well against the York Minster Engineering League side with a crowd of approximately 750 supporters turning out for the charity match held in the memory of former Rovers goalkeeper Steve Myers, who sadly died at the age of 29 from a brain tumour.

Huntington kept City at bay for the opening 20 minutes but McLaughlin's 25-yard blockbuster, that home goalkeeper Leon Wrigglesworth could only watch whistle into his top right-hand corner, opened the floodgates – signalling the first of four goals in quarter of an hour.

Earlier, Matty Blair's right-wing cross had bounced off the top of the crossbar and Wrigglesworth also kept out two further shots from City’s leading marksman in 2011/12 and McLaughlin before the Northern Ireland Under-21 international made the breakthrough.

On 28 minutes, Jamal Fyfield fed Coulson who cut in from the left flank before curling an edge-of-the-box effort beyond Wrigglesworth to make it 2-0 and, four minutes later, McLaughlin picked out McReady’s powerful burst into the penalty box with a neatly-threaded through ball and the former Darlington midfielder prodded past the helpless Huntington ’keeper.

A clever back-heel by McLaughlin then gave Blair a right-wing crossing chance and his centre was sliced past Wrigglesworth by Hartas six yards from goal.

Huntington rallied as striker Chris Dyson tried his luck from 40 yards with Michael Ingham off his line following a careless pass by Dan Parslow but his opportunist attempt was high and wide.

Gary Newton also curled a 25-yard free-kick over on the stroke of half time.

City changed their whole starting XI other than Fyfield for the second half and he was also replaced by Dryden seven minutes later.

Within seconds of the restart, Kelly made it 5-0 with a tap in from Jamie Reed’s low right-wing cross.

After Dyson called Paul Musselwhite into action at his near post, Henderson fired at Wrigglesworth when put clear on goal and Michael Potts dragged his shot wide from the rebound.

Kelly then found Wrigglesworth’s top left-hand corner with a curling 20-yard shot to rival McLaughlin’s earlier effort for the goal of the game on 63 minutes.

A 15-yard deflected volley from Reed provided the seventh and, after a lung-busting run by Mills ended with a shot that sailed narrowly over the Rovers crossbar, Henderson also volleyed in from a similar distance following nimble footwork by Potts.

City: Ingham (Musselwhite 46), Challinor (Oyebanjo 46), Parslow (Smith 46), Doig (Blanchett 46), Fyfield (Dryden 52, Torpey 60, Lyttle 69, Mills 78), Bullock (Banks 46), McReady (Potts 46), McLaughlin (Platt 46), Blair (Reed 46), Walker (Henderson 46), Coulson (Kelly 46).