CRAIG Farrell managed just one goal at Bootham Crescent in his last 12 months as a York City striker.

That barren run stretched across 14 games but he matched that tally with his first touch as an 84th-minute substitute for new club Telford on Saturday.

In doing so, he joined an ever-growing band of former Minstermen to have enjoyed goalscoring returns to their one-time North Yorkshire employers.

Few fans will ever forget Graeme Potter and Jon Parkin playing their part in City’s relegation from the Football League when they both made the scoresheet during a pivotal Football League visit with Macclesfield back in April 2004.

And, following swiftly on from Adam Boyes’ midweek header for Barrow, Farrell has now also joined the likes of Ben Wilkinson, Joe O’Neill, Jon Shaw and even current City skipper Chris Smith in doing the same during the non-League era.

Equally as galling on Saturday was the fact that Telford had not managed a single on-target shot at Michael Ingham’s goal until Farrell followed up to net on 86 minutes when Phil Trainer’s shot had bounced back off a post.

The Bucks went on to win their first corner in stoppage time and the absence of a single offside award in 90 minutes owed much to how deeply the visitors defended to combat City’s pace and how little they ventured into the final third at the other end of the pitch.

Telford ’keeper Ryan Young, however, was only required to make two routine saves himself all afternoon from Matty Blair and Ashley Chambers and, while Lanre Oyebanjo also hit the bar, the Minstermen failed to hit the target with 11 of their 14 goal attempts.

The first half was characterised by long periods of City possession but, with Telford opting to match the hosts’ narrow three-man midfield, the ball spent too little time inside the Bucks’ penalty box.

Oyebanjo did go close for the Minstermen after just four minutes when he fired narrowly over from 25 yards and Adriano Moké dragged another long-range effort wide on the half-hour mark following good work by Chambers.

A header by Blair moments later, after Andre Boucaud had released Chambers down the left flank, also lacked the power to trouble Young.

At the other end, Telford’s first-half attacks were restricted to two woefully wayward strikes by Richard Davies.

In the second period, City began to build up a decent head of steam around the hour mark with Oyebanjo seemingly using his shins to divert a James Meredith cross against the bar from six yards.

Chambers also drove straight at Young from 25 yards before Walker glanced a header wide following Patrick McLaughlin’s corner.

A perfectly volleyed crossfield pass by Walker sent Oyebanjo sprinting through on goal moments later but he drove wide of Young’s near post.

There was then brief respite for the visitors when David McGurk conceded a free-kick on the edge of City’s penalty box but Sean Newton drove the subsequent effort over Ingham’s bar.

By now, the Minstermen had switched to a 4-4-2 formation with Chambers and substitute Jamal Fyfield operating down the flanks while fellow replacement Jamie Reed partnered Walker in attack.

Walker, though, lifted a ten-yard chance too high after Chambers had burst into the Bucks’ penalty area.

Republic of Ireland under-21 international Oyebanjo also went close with an improvised bicycle kick before teeing up Walker with another great opportunity that the £60,000 summer signing dragged wide from 12 yards.

Smith also headed wide from a Scott Kerr cross to the far post before Telford snatched an ill-deserved winning goal.

Capitalising on a moment’s hesitation in the home penalty box, Trainer drilled a low shot against Ingham’s right-hand post and, following the rebound, Farrell steered the ball into an inviting net from eight yards out.

In response, stunned City could not muster up a third stoppage-time goal in as many games and Gary Mills’ men now meet Kettering next still searching for their first clean sheet of the new season.

Match facts

York City 0, AFC Telford 1 (Farrell 86)

York City: Michael Ingham 7, Lanre Oyebanjo 8, David McGurk 7, Chris Smith 7, James Meredith 7, Andre Boucaud 6, Patrick McLaughlin 6, Adriano Moké 6, Matty Blair 6, Jason Walker 6, Ashley Chambers 7.

Substitutions: Jamie Reed 6 (for Blair, 47), Jamal Fyfield 6 (for Moké, 64), Scott Kerr (for Boucaud, 76). Not used: Daniel Parslow, Michael Potts.

Key: 10 – Faultless; 9 – Outstanding; 8 – Excellent; 7 – Good; 6 – Average; 5 – Below par; 4 – Poor; 3 – Dud; 2 – Hopeless; 1 – Retire.

City’s star man: Oyebanjo – City’s biggest attacking threat at right-back.

Telford: Ryan Young, Will Salmon, Shane Killock, Dan Preston, Sean Newton, Craig King (Alex Meechan, 74), Phil Trainer, Richard Davies, Ryan Valentine, James Reid (Dwayne Samuels, 69); Andy Brown (Craig Farrell, 84).

Subs not used: Jon Adams, Lee Evans.

Yellow: Reid 27, Moké 37, McGurk 68.

Shots on target: York 3, Telford 2.

Shots off target: York 11, Telford 3.

Corners: York 6, Telford 1.

Offsides: York 0, Telford 0.

Fouls conceded: York 10, Telford 12.

Referee: Tony Harrington (Hartlepool). Rating: decisive and provided little cause for complaint.

Attendance: 2,723 (198 away fans).

Cross of the match: Oyebanjo delivered an excellent first-half cross that required a fine headed clearance by Salmon to prevent Blair scoring.

Passes of the match: First-time cross-field balls by Boucaud and Walker.

Miss of the match: Walker’s second-half shot that he lifted over.

Head to head - James Meredith v Craig King

YORK City’s Australian left-back Meredith was rarely troubled by Telford winger King, comfortably winning his personal battle. But home supporters would have liked to see the former Telford defender push forward more against his old team with him delivering only one really telling cross. Ex-City winger Alex Meechan later replaced King but Meredith remained steadfast.