A Richard Brodie thunderbolt four minutes from time gave York City an impressive 1-0 win against Scunthorpe United at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen’s top scorer of last season unleashed a 20-yard rocket into the top left-hand corner to secure Martin Foyle’s men a Championship scalp.

Pre-season friendlies might not count for anything, but Foyle and this emerging Minstermen squad should still take great credit after fashioning an excellent display.

They pressed and unsettled their illustrious opponents and Brodie’s spectacular goal, after a free-kick was touched to him, was no more than they deserved.

Following an uneventful first quarter, it was Scunthorpe who actually had the game’s first chance – a chipped ball through the middle setting Jonathan Forte away.

But, as he bore down on goal, trialist City goalkeeper David Knight came out and got a foot in to clear ahead of the Iron striker.

The Minstermen then exploded into life.

Chris Carruthers, having shaken off the groin problem which forced him to limp out of the 2-0 defeat to Barnsley, produced a clever touch to find Alex Lawless and he set George Purcell careering down the left flank.

The ex-Braintree forward whipped in a precision cross into the path of Michael Rankine, who only narrowly failed to find the far corner with his angled header.

In possession the Minstermen looked comfortable whereas, in contrast, Scunthorpe lacked cohesion.

If York were troubled, however, it was by the Iron’s propensity to lump the ball forward – and it almost saw them go behind on 28 minutes.

Rob Jones thumped it up the pitch from the back and Forte shrugged off Djoumin Sangare, only for Knight to stand big and deflect his shot wide.

Knight was called into action again just before the break, easily dealing with a curling shot from Bobby Grant.

Martyn Woolford, on his return to York, made his first meaningful contribution four minutes after the break but could only fire weakly at Michael Ingham.

Fit again Duane Courtney had kept the former Frickley Athletic player quiet during an assured first 45 minutes of pre-season and Woolford was replaced on 53 minutes.

City continued to enjoy the better of it and Rankine’s fierce shot was heavily deflected wide.

Brodie’s introduction immediately gave City more punch. Even in the relative unimportance of a friendly fixture, David Mirfin’s blatant pull-back on Michael Gash, after he was put through by a Sangare long ball, probably deserved a card on 69 minutes.

Brodie forced Slocombe into a save from the free-kick and, ten minutes later, Levi Mackin’s blistering effort from 25 yards flew just wide.

It was Foyle’s men who were doing all the pressing as the game wound down before the Brodie brilliance won it.

York City: David Knight (Michael Ingham, 46), Duane Courtney (Liam Darville, 46), David McGurk (Daniel Parslow, 46), Djoumin Sangare, James Meredith, David McDermott (Jonathan Smith, 61), Alex Lawless, Levi Mackin, Chris Carruthers (Peter Till, 51), Michael Rankine (Richard Brodie, 61), George Purcell (Michael Gash, 61). Subs not used: Tom Richardson, Andy McWilliams.

Scunthorpe United: Sam Slocombe, Cliff Byrne, Rob Jones (David Mirfin, 46), Michael Raynes, Eddie Nolan (Rory Coleman, 53), Michael Collins, Andrew Wright, Martyn Woolford (Matt Godden, 53), Bobby Grant, Jonathan Forte (Adam Boyes, 53), Garry Thompson. Subs not used: Joe Murphy, Jim McNulty, Sam Togwell, Chris Dagnell, Josh Wright, Jonathan Williams.

Referee: Robert Madley (Wakefield).

Attendance: 906 (142 from Scunthorpe).