HEWORTH could hold their heads high after a battling performance as they fell to a 37-6 defeat at fifth-placed Wath Brow Hornets in the National Conference League Premier Division.

It was the Villagers’ second lengthy trip to Cumbria in a matter of weeks, taking on the Hornets in predictably breezy conditions in Whitehaven.

The visitors, fielding a severely depleted side due to injuries and unavailability, showed some admirable battling qualities throughout but despite a valiant effort they eventually succumbed to the Cumbrians.

Wath Brow led 17-6 at the break before going on to register 20 unanswered points in the second period against a rapidly tiring defence to run out comfortable winners.

The Hornets opened their account after just six minutes with a controversial try by hooker Ellison Holgate, despite strong claims of a forward pass in the build-up. Full-back Cole Walker Taylor added the extras. 

And five minutes later, they doubled their advantage in similar fashion after calls -this time for obstruction - again went unheeded by the officials before Walker-Taylor crossed and converted his own try to hand his side a 12-0 advantage. 

Heworth though shrugged off the disappointment and hit back to create a strong period of pressure on the home line. 

After having players held up over the whitewash on a couple of occasions, their persistence was finally rewarded on 25 minutes when debutant scrum-half Tommy Wandless put prop Jack Aldous over for a well deserved try.

Wandless, formerly of Dewsbury Rams, then converted to reduce the deficit to six points.

The next 13 minutes was evenly contested with neither side being able to add to their tally.

But the hosts soon found a way through, dealing a gutting double blow as half-time approached.

Firstly, scrum-half Dean Rooney slotted over a drop-goal, and right on the stroke of half time Walker-Taylor crossed for his second of the afternoon to take the score to 17-6 at the break.

The hosts, sensing victory, came out firing in the second half, but Heworth showed some commendable spirit in defence to keep them at bay.

That was until the 50th minute, when Walker-Taylor edged them two points further ahead with a penalty goal. 

The remainder of the half belonged to the Hornets and with game-ending injuries leaving Heworth with just one remaining substitute, fatigue inevitably took its toll.

Wath Brow went on to add three further touchdowns from forward Clark Riley, centre Luke Davison and a second for Holgate. 

Walker-Taylor completed a six-goal haul for a personal tally of 20 points. 

Hooker Harley Axe was voted as the Man of the Match for the Villagers but the whole side deserved great credit for a tremendous effort against all the odds.

Heworth have no game next week, but are next in action in their cross-city derby against fierce local rivals York Acorn at Elmpark Way on July 20.