TADCASTER Albion and Selby Town began their 2024/25 pre-season campaign in a local North Yorkshire derby on Tuesday evening.

Visiting Tadcaster took the bragging rights in a thumping 4-0 victory over Selby, who welcomed supporters back to the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium.

A brace from newly-signed Alfie Dean was partnered by an own goal and a brilliant strike from a Tad trialist.

Tadcaster began their pre-season in the perfect fashion, with Dean, who recently-joined from Ilkley Town, capping off a well-worked move before delicately dinking a strike over the Selby shot-stopper.

It was almost two for the Brewers within six minutes, with a superb low cross from Shaun Hudson finding Jordan Hines within the six-yard box, but the Taddy striker had strayed offside before a close-ranged finish.

Selby responded through Harry Clapham, but his effort was expertly tipped over the bar by Sam Green.


An injury to recently-signed defender Jimmy Knowles forced Tadcaster into an early change, but it didn’t effect the Brewers from doubling their advantage.

Hines was again involved with a composed cut back into the area, which Dean again latched onto with another fantastic low finish past the Selby goalkeeper.

With half-time approaching, Tadcaster added their third, with an in-swinging free-kick from Hudson being turned into the Selby goal by a Robins goalkeeper, seeing the visitors head into the half-time break well in control.

Selby entered the second-half keen to make their stamp on the match, with Troy Greening breaking in behind the Taddy defence before cannoning a strike off of the far post.

A Tadcaster trialist would then break into the box, but was denied with a comfortable save from the Selby goalkeeper.

Dan Thirkell was forced into a necessary header to clear a Selby free-kick, before the Brewers captain was involved again at the other end, powering a header narrowly wide from a corner.

Tadcaster Albion and Selby Town began their pre-season. Pic: Jay TaylorTadcaster Albion and Selby Town began their pre-season. Pic: Jay Taylor (Image: Jay Taylor)

Tadcaster were again denied by a disallowed goal, with two coming in quick succession.

Thirkell’s first from a corner found the back of the net, but the referee ruled that the corner had to be re-taken, before the captain again headed home from the following corner.

However, the referee ruled that the ball had left play prior to finding Thirkell from the corner, therefore disallowing the goal.

With four minutes of normal time remaining, Tadcaster added their fourth and final of the afternoon, with what was arguably their best of the evening.

A superb run from a trialist saw the winger beat multiple Selby players when cutting inside, before a deftly-executed finish into the bottom left corner from the edge of the area.

A positive start to pre-season for Mick O’Connell’s Tadcaster Albion, whilst Selby Town, now under the ownership of Dave Haddock, continue to find their feet in an enjoyable run-out for both sides.

Tadcaster are next in action on Friday evening when welcoming Brighouse Town to the Young Guns Arena (7pm), whilst Selby return to action also on Friday evening, seeing Goole visit the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium (7.30pm).