Another season of the Vanarama National League wrapped up over the weekend as the play-offs came to an explosive conclusion, with York City’s attention now solely focused on the 2024/25 season.

But with York only confirming mathematical safety on the final day of the National League campaign for the second season running, it’s been a real year of highs and lows for the Minstermen, with new ownership, three different managers and over 20 new faces in the building.

Here’s how the Press ranks every league performance from York throughout the 2023/24 season.

WEALDSTONE (A) 2-1 – 5/10

A really underwhelming way to begin the season, as City fell to defeat on the road to part-time outfit Wealdstone.

The difference in the squad compared to the final day squad is almost baffling, with David Stockdale, Levi Andoh, Olly Dyson and Alex Hurst all involved, but it wasn’t a performance to cheer under former boss Mikey Morton.

Dipo Akinyemi had gifted York the lead, but second-half efforts from Max Kretzschmar and Jaydn Mundle-Smith left City toothless on the opening day.


York’s disappointing start to the season continued, with another late goal condemning the Minstermen to defeat, this time on home soil.

Newly-promoted Kidderminster, who would go on to be relegated, shocked the LNER Community Stadium as Amari Morgan-Smith struck late against his former side in what was a hugely disappointing and frustrating performance.

There were little to no improvements compared to the opening day defeat to Wealdstone, and despite York managing an equal nine shots against the Harriers, they failed to really test Christian Dibble in goal.

ALTRINCHAM (H) 2-2 – 7/10

A better performance from York, who led twice against this voodoo side Altrincham, and were unlucky not to come away with three points.

Altrincham provided a real test against their North Yorkshire counterparts but goals from Akinyemi and Callum Harriott grabbed a respectable point against play-off semi-finalists.

Attacking-wise, there was lots to be pleased with for Morton, but defensive aspects let City down as the Robins took advantage in claiming a point.


Lenell John-Lewis opened his account for the season with a late equaliser against Aldershot, who would go on to miss out on the play-offs by just two points.

York showed more battle in this match, but really lacked that defining quality with Aldershot in control of possession and having the better of the chances.

Andoh was awarded as man-of-the-match on the afternoon, with Stockdale suffering a long-term injury that forced the recall of Ryan Whitley.


Similarly to the Aldershot performance, City just struggled to provide any dominance over their opponents with another late goal spoiling the day for the ten-men Minstermen.

After fighting back from a goal down, strikes from Maz Kouhyar and Akinyemi saw York look likely for their first three points of the season, before Jason Prior bagged a late equaliser.

John-Lewis’ 98th minute red card made no real change to any outcome, but frustrations continued to grow with City still awaiting a first win of the season.

ROCHDALE (H) 1-3 – 4/10

The end of Morton’s tenure in charge, with the City boss relived of his duties shortly after the full-time whistle, as York whimpered to a third defeat of the season.

Recently-relegated Rochdale took advantage of York’s own shortcomings, and a first goal of the season for Adam Crookes proved to only be a consolation in a clash which was hard to watch from a City perspective.

Unfortunately certain players had no impact throughout the match and weren’t able to aid York’s fortunes, and despite some promising goalkeeping from Whitley, Rochdale weren’t to be denied for too long before gaining the three points.


With interim boss Tony McMahon in charge, concerns were rife as York slumped to a shameful loss at Ebbsfleet.

Zanda Siziba opened his account for the club, but a dominant display from the Fleet meant that City showed little fight in trying to gain some valuable points in what had been a calamitous start to the season.

Supporters headed home understandably angry, with a defensive performance that was at times comical against a newly-promoted outfit that had adapted well to life back in the fifth tier.

BOREHAM WOOD (H) 2-2 – 6/10

New boss Neal Ardley was instated and provided a battling performance against a Boreham Wood side that would go on to be relegated, with City showing signs of hopefully bagging a first victory of the season.

Goals for Akinyemi and a first for Quevin Castro were stumped by a nine-minute brace from Lee Ndlovu, but there were still aspects to be encouraged by in Ardley’s first outing.

Defensive improvements were still needed, but York will have felt unfortunate to have not held on to three points.

SOUTHEND UNITED (H) 3-0 – 8/10

At last, a first win of the season for the Minstermen.

Admittedly, it had come against a Southend side in turmoil as financial problems and squad issues surrounded the Shrimpers, but York showed no mercy in a excellent performance at the LNER.

An incredible strike from Thierry Latty-Fairweather was paired by efforts from Kouhyar and Siziba, with Ardley earning City their first win against the nine-men of Southend.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC (A) 2-0 – 3/10

Managerless Oldham put a thorn into what Ardley had hoped would have been the beginning of a run of form, with York showing fatigue in a disappointing performance.

Again there were defensive issues for the Minstermen with Oldham more than happy to take advantage, whilst City showed little promise when attacking in the final third, despite an incredible backing of just under 800 York supporters in the away end.

Ardley scrutinised the performance, and rightly so, with City continuing to concerningly sit in the relegation zone.

WOKING (A) 1-2 – 7/10

In front of the television cameras, Ryan Fallowfield bagged his first of the season in the 98th minute for a crucial three points.

In the first of a double over Woking across the season, York showed immediate improvements from their midweek loss at Oldham.

Defensively it was better, but going forward there were plenty of fight and spirit to go on and earn a pivotal second win of the campaign.

BARNET (H) 2-4 – 5/10

Despite initially leading in the contest, a collapse from City saw play-off semi-finalists Barnet secure a comfortable win in midweek.

An Akinyemi brace couldn’t claim any points against Barnet, who had a fantastic campaign, with the Bees running out as eventual winners.

York’s defensive woes continued, which Ardley had identified as Will Smith made his debut, whilst giving City supporters little to cheer about.

SOLIHULL MOORS (H) 2-2 – 7/10

Ardley came up against his former employers Solihull Moors and landed an important point, with Andy Whing’s side going on to reach both the play-off final and the Isuzu FA Trophy final throughout the campaign.

There were lots to be pleased about for Ardley as Solihull were contained at the LNER, as Latty-Fairweather and Kouhyar grasped a point after the visitors had found themselves in front thanks to Josh Kelly.

The result provided York with some much-needed confidence before going on a three match unbeaten run.


Another late, late show from York saw two goals in nine minutes earn another crucial three points.

John-Lewis’ 85th minute strike was paired by Akinyemi’s stoppage-time winner, with City continuing their long list of enjoyable visits to Victoria Road in recent years.

The Daggers were unable to fill a bench in the match, but York showed spirit and fight throughout the contest.

BROMLEY (H) 2-2 – 7/10

To be leading twice against a side that would go on to gain promotion was brilliant for City, even if it was soured by a last-ditch equaliser for the Ravens.

A 95th minute equaliser from Josh Passley denied York a potential double over Bromley, with strikes from Akinyemi and John-Lewis earning a point at the LNER.

A promising performance under Ardley with, again, a lot of fight and challenge.

EASTLEIGH (A) 3-1 – 4/10

A disappointing performance and a bit of a dull match, despite there being four goals in it.

With an incredible 314 City supporters making the longest-trip of the season to Eastleigh, the Minstermen failed to perform and showed little hunger in a poor display.

Callum Howe’s consolation against his former side made no real difference to Eastleigh, who were comfortable in their victory.

CHESTERFIELD (A) 4-0 – 2/10

Not much has to be said, in a 4-0 defeat. However, it was against the eventual champions who turned over plenty of teams throughout the season.

There’s still nothing to be happy about in a miserable day out for City, with a brace from Will Grigg being paired by Ollie Banks and Tom Naylor.

It was a poor day out all round, and Ardley expressed his frustration after the full-time whistle.

FC HALIFAX TOWN (H) 1-1 – 5/10

Despite it being a Yorkshire derby with a bumper crowd at the LNER, there was little to shout about for the Minstermen as their winless run stretched to four.

A stoppage-time equaliser from Paddy McLaughlin cancelled out Florent Hoti’s 49th minute equaliser, with York continuing to languish around the relegation zone.

City needed a win and some confidence back into their team.

AFC FYLDE (A) 0-2 – 7/10

Not one I actually covered, with the wonderful Emma Kennedy stepping in to the City hotseat, but much to be pleased about for the Minstermen.

A visit to Fylde came with three points and an excellent performance from both Ryan Fallowfield and Scott Burgess, who both got their names on the scoresheet.

A needed win and three points that was a sign of things to come.


It would be a sign of things to come, but not yet. A really frustrating performance against Hartlepool and John Askey followed, with the visitors controlling the game from early on.

Tyler Cordner netted a stoppage-time consolation and aided City in avoiding a 3-0 defeat, but the match was wrapped up by the 50th minute.

A pretty spineless performance back at the LNER.

OXFORD CITY (H) 2-0 – 7/10

The introduction of Will Davies after signing from Braintree Town, there were plenty to be pleased about as York avoided an upset on home soil.

Newly-promoted Oxford, who would go on to be relegated, were bested by the Minstermen thanks to a debut strike from Davies, partnered by a second goal in as many games for Cordner, in what was a superb effort.

The win provided some much-needed confidence in just the second home league win of the season.


Whilst the result may not seem too positive on paper, after being reduced to ten-men following just 19 minutes, it was a hard-fought point on the road for Ardley’s men.

Alex Woodyard’s red card was made worse as Ashley Nathaniel-George put Maidenhead ahead with under 20 minutes remaining.

A penalty save from George Sykes-Kenworthy and a late equaliser from Callum Howe earned City a spirited draw.

ROCHDALE (A) 0-0 – 5/10

A really poor performance in the most forgettable match of the season, in which City were fortunate to nab a point against relegated Rochdale.

Managing just three shots throughout the 90 minutes, York looked devoid of ideas and creativity as they managed to keep Rochdale out, claiming their second clean sheet in three games in what was a valuable point.

Defensively, it was a huge improvement from what had been seen in recent times, with Howe performing admirably at the heart of the backline.


A game marred by a controversial refereeing performance, York were extremely unlucky to not claim a crucial three points.

A last-minute equaliser from Ebbsfleet goalkeeper Mark Cousins grasped a draw for the visitors, but claims of a foul in the build-up were ignored.

The result forced punishment for co-owner Matt Uggla following his post-match comments, with Ardley and the team feeling hard done by.

GATESHEAD (A) 1-1 – 7/10

York’s unbeaten run continued with a hard-fought draw on Boxing Day.

It was a day for right-back’s, as Fallowfield’s opener was later cancelled out by Kyran Lofthouse, with a point gained at a really difficult place to play.

The result saw Ardley’s side stretch their run to five, the longest run of the season so far.

GATESHEAD (H) 2-0 – 8/10

In what was Billy Chadwick’s last game before leaving Gateshead and joining York, the New Year began with three points for the Minstermen.

Davies and Akinyemi bagged goals to ensure that City would avoid defeat to Gateshead this campaign, with Sykes-Kenworthy making a second pivotal penalty save.

The shot-stopper’s performance kept the Heed out, earning the man-of-the-match award, with supporters hoping that it would be a sign of things to come.

BOREHAM WOOD (A) 1-1 – 6/10

Another match which Emma kindly covered, controversy surrounded this fixture after it was moved late on to Sunday, despite travel restrictions.

City offered little throughout the contest, but Crookes’ 93rd minute strike confirmed a point after Chris Bush had forced Sykes-Kenworthy into an error just ten minutes earlier.

A slightly fatigued performance with York contesting with their London opponents, who would go on to be relegated.

OXFORD CITY (A) 1-2 – 7/10

It wasn’t a match of high quality, but three points on the board and the first double of the season for City.

The Minstermen fought challenging conditions in midweek with Akinyemi’s opener being cancelled out by Aaron William-Buhsell, before Davies’s stoppage-time winner earned another important three points.

Plenty to be pleased about despite it not being the most polished performance.


York’s long unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of Hartlepool, who had found new life under boss Kevin Phillips.

A sold-out away end of over 1000 travelled to Hartlepool, but Akineymi’s stoppage-time strike wasn’t enough to earn anything after a Manny Dieseruvwe double.

The match was marred by post-match incidents involving supporters and Cleveland Police.


Another game which is rather forgettable, Ashley Nathaniel-George’s opener was met by a bizarre own goal by the visitors.

City were just two points clear of the relegation zone after failing to pick up three points, with York perhaps feeling unfortunate to have not come away with victory, having had five more shots than the Magpies.

Concerns continued to grow over a potential relegation back into regional football.

SOUTHEND UNITED (A) 0-1 – 7/10

Another late, late show from York allowed John-Lewis to hand a last-ditch victory to City.

‘The Shop’ bagged an 89th minute winner against Southend, completing the double over the Shrimpers.

A spirited effort saw the Minstermen move to four points clear of the drop zone after a highly-contested challenge.


An extremely frustrating afternoon saw a sublime strike from Tom Blair put a dent in York’s survival hopes, in another match which Emma had covered (fortunately for me).

The defeat began a long winless run for the Minstermen which would eventually lead to the dismissal of Ardley, with City eventually being plunged back into the relegation zone.

It was unfortunately a sign of things to come, in a performance that lacked any creativity or cutting edge in the final third.


Fragile defending, the story of City’s season, was a driving factor as York failed to blunt the Daggers.

Jake Hessenthaler netted from a corner after somehow finding himself unmarked, before Fallowfield capped off a well-worked move to finish Danny Amos’ cross.

Another pretty frustrating watch with City having the better of the chances, but failing to keep Dagenham out from their one shot on target.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC (H) 1-1 – 6/10

Despite it not being a needed three points, it was a battling performance from the Minstermen who were unfortunate not to come away with victory.

Oldham, who at the time were on the brink of the play-offs failed to rock York with Ardley’s side unlucky to not bag a winner against the Latics.

Davies drew York level after Mike Fondop had put Oldham ahead, with City again having more chances than their visitors, but not taking advantage.

BARNET (A) 2-0 – 3/10 

The end of the Ardley era and his tenure in charge, in a spineless performance away in London.

The play-off semi-finalists had enjoyed a fantastic season, ending the campaign in second, but they weren’t threatened by City at all throughout the contest.

A brace from Callum Stead won the match in front of a huge travelling York fanbase, with City whimpering to defeat and failing to create any notable opportunities.

WEALDSTONE (A) 2-3 – 4/10

Adam Hinshewood’s first match in charge began with a defeat to Wealdstone, who were also threatened by relegation, despite a brace from Chadwick.

A brace from Kretzschmar and an initial equaliser from Jack Cook saw the Stones secure the three points, in what was a performance that required work from the newly-appointed boss.

It was again a very frustrating watch, with Chadwick’s double being the only real positive from the contest.

AFC FYLDE (H) 1-3 – 3/10

In what had been declared as a ‘must-win’ prior to kick-off, City failed to rise to the challenge as Fylde enjoyed a trip to North Yorkshire.

A pretty dire performance meant that Fylde were in control for the majority of the match as they all but confirmed their National League safety, with frustrations continuing to grow for supporters.

City were now in the relegation zone and in complete disarray.


A really dull match between two sides desperately fighting for their lives, as this relegation six-pointer did not match the expectations.

However, a first clean sheet and first point under Hinshelwood was a positive, but the boss was understandably not happy at a forgettable performance.

The two sides didn’t really concern each other, in a match which saw Leone Gravata make his one appearance for the club since signing from Eastbourne Borough.

ALTRINCHAM (A) 6-1 – 0/10

It cannot be put into words. I remember coming away from this match feeling at a loss, and genuinely believing that City were destined for a return to regional football, as most other York fans did too.

A truly dastardly performance which saw multiple errors punished by a profitable Altrincham side, who ended their season as play-off semi-finalists. It was a match that belongs in the “York City Banter Era”, in a pretty comical display that understandably angered everyone involved.

It was York’s rock bottom for the season. Thankfully, the only way was up.

ALDERSHOT TOWN (H) 1-0 – 7/10

Hinshelwood’s first win as manager and City’s first victory in eight matches, in what was a moment that relieved supporters after John-Lewis’ last-ditch winner.

With his first touch of the ball, the York captain powered Callum Howe’s flick on past Jordi Van Stappershoef for a needed three points, which is a testament to the person and player that he is. Less than a week on after addressing the media and facing up to the questions and the criticism, ‘the Shop’ provided a winner.

The beginning of a good run of form for the Minstermen, with Hinshelwood now off the mark in his tenure in charge.

BROMLEY (A) 0-2 – 8/10

Marvin Armstrong’s first for the club was paired by an incredible strike from Akinyemi to defeat a Bromley side that would go on to be promoted.

Basking in the sun in front of a bumper crowd for the Ravens, it was back-to-back league victories for the first time this season for the Minstermen, and some form of consistency that had been needed all campaign.

City escaped the relegation zone with a fantastic display in the capital.

CHESTERFIELD (H) 2-1 – 10/10

For me, this was the performance of the season. A truly magnificent effort against the champions, with York defying the odds in defeating Chesterfield.

Despite falling behind early on, City showed the spirit and the fight to produce a second-half turnaround, stretching the gap from the relegation zone to five points.

Chesterfield had enjoyed the better of the chances, but the Minstermen demonstrated being clinical in front of goal, something they had struggled with throughout the campaign.

FC HALIFAX TOWN (A) 1-1 – 8/10

Not a needed three points, but a really unfortunate evening for the Minstermen after a dominant display.

In the re-arranged Bank Holiday Monday fixture, a stoppage-time equaliser earned Halifax a point amid some comical defending, with City feeling a little hard done by.

Akinyemi had put the Minstermen ahead with York handling the conditions of Halifax’s pitch in an impressive manner.

EASTLEIGH (H) 0-1 – 3/10

Whilst this wasn’t necessarily a horrific performance, suffering two red cards was only ever going to lead to one results.

Dismissals for Fallowfield and Zanda Siziba meant that City were hampered, through their own fault, before a controversial winner from Luke Croll denied York a point.

There were a lot of questions over the referee in the match, with Hinshelwood publicly slating the officiating after the match, but City were victims of their own decision-making.

WOKING (H) 2-0 – 8/10

In the penultimate match of the campaign and the final outing at the LNER for the season, York showed up when required in claiming a vital three points over Woking, that would eventually lead to their safety.

Strikes from Chadwick and Akinyemi capped off a phenomenal effort from the Minstermen, defeating a side that were also languishing at the wrong end of the table, with York now needing a huge goal swing to suffer the drop.

Celebrations could not start until the final day of the season, but it was a captivating way to end the home campaign.

SOLIHULL MOORS (A) 1-0 – 4/10

A pretty half-hearted display against the play-off finalists and the Isuzu FA Trophy finalists, City didn’t really threaten a Solihull side enjoying an incredible season.

Jack Stevens netted a late winner but York didn’t mind, as results elsewhere as well as their superior goal difference meant that safety would be confirmed.

A huge backing in the Midlands saw City almost have more supporters within the ARMCO Arena than Solihull.