A TRIP to Twickenham is on the cards for York RUFC after a dramatic late winner over Driffield.

The venue was to be Clifton Park but it had to altered to Kellythorpe due to a clash with the commencement of the Cricket season, it was not cricket weather more like a November day and definitely a warm clothing was the order of the day.

The sizeable crowd were entertained to a quality game of Rugby as Driffield were wanting to hang onto their title.

Toby Atkin returned to his scrum half position, following his lengthy absence due to a dislocated elbow, this did not seem to affect the speed of his service to Harry Shackleton, who had recovered from a dislocated knee.

The first few minutes gave an insight of what was to come, Driffield kicking off, York dropping the kick off, the following scrum saw the power generated driving Driffield back some 10m, the scrum has been a big part of the team’s success this season.


Five minutes gone and York were on the attack showing superb handling, big carries, phase plays, recycling 10 phases, going from edge to edge, this produces an overlap on the right for Will Fordy to sell a lovely dummy and to score near the posts, Harry Shackleton converts.

Almost immediately after the restart, Driffield were back in the game. A clearing kick was charged down by Will Hughes, he follows up and then the ball sits up for him to cross the line to score, the conversion was not converted.

There follows a penalty for a high tackle by Driffield no9, who was sent to the bin, then a period of penalties from both teams, as well as a number of unforced errors, allowed York’s superior scrum to put pressure on their opponents.

Defence from both teams was quality, line speed is excellent denying time and space, sometimes too keen, which lead to a penalty for offside against York on their 10m line. James Watt stepped up to convert the penalty, to give Driffield a slender lead.

Supporters were then treated to a kick out of defence to the York back three, a lovely counter-attack results in a try in the left corner for AJ Peplinski, Harry Shackleton converts from the touchline.

Another penalty awarded on the York 22m for Driffield’s Watt to narrow the score line.

Another counter attack from Zac Burlingham and Mitch Ashman with movement of the ball from left to right, involving backs and forwards, for the powerful Will Scholey to crash over in the right hand corner, Harry Shackleton converting.

Following the half-time break, Driffield begin to dominate possession and territory allowing a driven line out try to the home side which is not converted, the gap closes.

The referee ignored a deliberate knock down and played advantage to Driffield, but with the advantage over, Luke Stockton goes for the turnover, Driffield are penalised for not releasing on the York 10m line, the reliable boot of Harry Shackleton converts a valuable three points.

The Driffield no6, Will Hughes is having a magnificent game, following a series of penalties Driffield are camped in the York red zone, the ever present Hughes is there to drive over for a try converted, at 60 minutes the result seems inevitable, a Driffield victory!

A classy try, Will Hughes again down the blindside for a solo cameo, the reserve scrum half converting with five minutes remaining. Driffield 30 York 24

York found a second wind, now throwing all caution to the wind, Joe Maud working hard, Atkin returning and last ditch effort sees York awarded a number of penalties and going to the corner.

Losing a line out, then getting another chance to win another line out and control the possession, it is frantic Atkin feeds Fordy, Shackleton loops Fordy, to score near the posts, a conversion to win. The cool headed Shackleton steps up to convert. Driffield 30 York 31. York are into the semi-final against Heath RUFC.