York travelled to Blackburn for the first of what should have been three games, in the first round of the Papa John Community Cup.

The other two matches were to be against Harrogate and Driffield, but Harrogate have decided not to participate.

York’s preparation was not ideal the coach getting stuck on the M62 and not arriving until 2.30 so the game kicked off at a delayed 3.30.

Gus Barrick and Jonty Atkinson were recording their 50th appearance for the first team.

York kicked off into the wind and within two minutes earned a penalty on their opponent’s 22.

It would normally have been no problem for Harry Shackleton, but the strong wind took it wide.

Surprisingly Blackburn didn’t kick for position but ran the ball out of defence and throughout the game ran the ball at every opportunity, but it was not long before York were back on the attack.

On the 22 after several phases, Harry Shackleton chipped over the defence collected the ball and touched down under the posts. The conversion was no problem for him. York had a lead of seven after six minutes.

For the next 10 minutes, York had all the ball and territory but could not turn them into points.

Blackburn then spent time on the ball and they showed pace, particularly in the backs, resulting in a try in the corner which they could not convert to bring the score to 5-7 after 17 minutes.

They were now playing with confidence and running with the ball but it was one of their big second rows who crashed over after 23 minutes near to the posts which was converted to give them a lead of 12-7.

York then spent the next 15 minutes on the attack and eventually after several phases, wing AJ Peplinski evaded his man and scored under the posts which Shackleton converted to make the score 12-14 after 30 minutes.

From the kick off, a break by Ben Mills playing as flanker and showing his versatility made a break and took play back to the home side’s 22 and from nowhere a mazy run by Zach Burlingham resulted in a try under the posts which Shackleton again dispatched to take the score to 12-21 after 33 minutes.

York weren’t finished and after several phases of play, Jonty Atkinson went in at the corner to add a further try. It was not converted.

York’s supporters were quietly confident heading into the break as the second-half would see York play with the wind, even though their line out was not functioning very well.

From the kick-off, York used the wind to kick for position to put their opponents under pressure and wait for the opportunities. It wasn’t long before a penalty was conceded, and Shackleton took the score to 15 – 29.

From the kick off the ball went back to the home side’s 22 and at a five metre scrum York were able to exert pressure the ball squirted out, and scrum half Matt Ferguson was the first to react to pick up the ball and touch down under the posts. Harry Shackleton duly converted and after 20 minutes York’s lead was 15-36.

It didn’t take long to extend the lead, but it was the forwards turn to score and Lewis Jackson crashed over near the posts. Shackleton again converted to take the score to 15- 43 after 23 minutes.

The weather then took a turn for the worse and the heavens opened with a driving rain into the faces of the home side.

Blackburn to their credit kept at it and three minutes later, despite a solid York defence, the scrum half went over near to the posts which was converted to take the score to 22-43.

Considering the conditions and the make up of the side it was a very creditable win for York.

As Harrogate have pulled out, the next game is against Driffield, a date and time is to be confirmed with the final set to be played at Twickenham.