HAVING reached the quarter-final stage of the County Cup with victories over Bradford (Park Avenue) and Farsley Celtic, any thoughts that this home game against Wakefield AFC, currently second in NCEL Division One, would be straight forward were dispelled by a terrific second half from the visitors.

Tadcaster looked comfortable from the kick-off with Joe Crosby in with a chance on five minutes following a defensive error, before a penalty shout as Junayd Cassius-Gill was tripped on the end of a pass from Jayden John.

Wakefield had a chance on 11 minutes when Cameron Barnett was a fraction too high from eighteen yards.

Albion had another opportunity after brilliant work from Ben Tweed who played the ball back from the byline to Cassius-Gill but his shot was well saved by keeper George Bristol.

Nevertheless, Tadcaster took the lead on 13 minutes when Tweed’s corner fell to the unmarked Dan Thirkell, who hammered it home from just outside the six-yard line.

At the midpoint of the opening half Lucas Nelson seized on a pinpoint through ball from Cassius–Gill but in a one-on-one with Bristol, the shot lacked pace and the goalkeeper cleared but only as far as the Albion Striker still in the box.

After making room for another attempt on goal he unleashed a much more powerful effort but it was way over the bar .

On 30 minutes Thirkell cleared two successive corners but the visitors were already starting to look dangerous , breaking quickly from defence.

Sebastian Losa headed just wide with five minutes to go, whilst Jack Durkin moved in for an overhead kick but failed to make contact. The warning signs were there as the referee blew for half-time.

The visitors were looking for a quick equaliser as the game recommenced but Albion still had chances early in the second half.

Nelson was again well positioned for a 50-50 ball in the area, but Bristol got there first whilst Crosby ‘s effort on 50 minutes was cleared.

Ten minutes in, Wakefield equalised after Taddy failed to clear in the six-yard area, Callum Charlton thumping a low strike into the corner of the net.

Albion hardly had time to draw breath when two minutes later Oli Green picked up the ball on the left flank, skimmed pass Josh Hardcastle and blasted it high into the far corner of the net.

With Luke Stewart and Oli Norman on for Cassius-Gill and Nelson, the Brewers looked to stem the tide; on 67 minutes Elliot Holmes met Tweed’s corner but Bristol was well-placed.

Fatlum Ibrahimi took over from Owen and on 78 minutes Sam Kitchen launched a defence-splitting free-kick into the box, again Holmes seeing his header and subsequent shot cleared off the line.

Tweed curled the ensuing corner towards the near post only to see the spin taking it onto the upright and , somehow, trickling back to a grateful goalkeeper.

Wakefield then broke quickly and with a shot reminiscent of their second goal, Losa blasted another unstoppable strike into the top of the net.

It would have been worse had it not been for Wilton’s save on 84 minutes, whilst Tad had the last chance of the game but Cody Collins' header from a corner was just too high.

Taddy must now ready themselves for this Saturday’s NCEL match against Hallam (3pm) at the So-Trak Stadium.

Tadcaster Albion: Wilton, Hardcastle, John (Collins), Thirkell, Owen (Ibrahimi), Holmes, Cassius-Gill (Stewart), Kitchen , Nelson ( Norman), Tweed, Crosby

Sub Not Used: Romero.