TADCASTER Albion were able to finally play their Northern Counties Eastern League Cup clash with Silsden in midweek after an incredible six postponements.

However, after so many cancellations due to weather conditions, Tadcaster were unable to progress in the competition after an unfortunate penalty shootout loss to Silsden.

There were starts for Jordan Hines. and Hiram Romero and the strongest bench for some considerable time. Still smarting from their single goal away defeat in the league last week against Silsden, Tadcaster needed to find goals in this cup game.

The start was disastrous! Jake Maltby was unmarked to side foot a cross into the six-yard area, and with three minutes gone, Albion were behind.

It was an obvious wake up call and the Brewers responded positively and immediately. Josh Hardcastle charged down the right flank, the low cross splitting the Silsden defence but Joe Crosby  could not get a foot on it.

Nevertheless, on eleven minutes the hosts levelled; Ben Tweed’s free kick found Charlie Owen on the edge of the box, he played it low into a packed area where Junayd Cassius-Gill acrobatically turned and thumped it into the net to draw Taddy level.

The referee soon waved away appeals for a penalty as Cassius-Gill was crunched leaving him in agony and incapable of carrying on. Luca Nelson was immediately brought on in his place.

At the half way stage of the opening forty-five, Hiram Romero was equal to a fierce shot from the right flank, whilst Stewart’s follow-up was cleared by Conor Qualter in the box.

Albion retaliated with another attack instigated by Hardcastle but Silsden goalkeeper Jay Rabone was first to the cross as Crosby honed in.

On the half an hour mark, Crosby turned provider but Tweed’s shot was cleared. Luke Brooksbank then had a chance for the visitors, racing in from the right but his shot found the car park.

Soon enough Taddy took the lead; Nelson put Hardcastle away with an inch perfect defence splitter, the big wing back crossed to the box as Hines roared in to bury the ball into the back of the net.

Albion had a chance to extend their lead almost immediately when Crosby charged down the right and crossed to Nelson who shot was saved by Rabone with his feet.

With a minute left on the clock, Crosby found himself in a one on one with Rabone but the keeper cleared for a corner. Tweed curled the ball with Qualter well placed to head in but again Rabone kept his side in the game.

Regrettably, Albion started the second half as they had done the first – sluggishly. Before they knew it Tad conceded. On 46 minutes, Kayle Price found space to shoot from a packed area and it was all square again.

The Cobbydalers nearly went in front a minute later but Romero dealt with a one on one brilliantly.

With 25 minutes left, Olli Norman replaced Hines as Tad sought the elusive third goal but it was Silsden who had the next chance when Price seized on a poor clearance bur Romero saved well. Norman attacked from the left flank but the shot cleared the bar.

On 82 minutes, Arley Barnes received his marching orders following a second yellow for a foul on Ben Tweed. Albion made good use of their numerical advantage and Fatlum Ibrahimi was back after he swapped with Qualter with four minutes of normal time remaining.

Four minutes added on was all pressure from Tadcaster, which included a penalty shout that was ignored by the referee.

And so, to the penalty shoot out which saw Taddy bow out of the tournament 4-3.

Suffice to say Silsden’s spot kicks were all on target but Romero was so close to saving the fourth, but beaten by the sheer pace of the ball despite getting a hand on it, Joe Crosby’s shot hit the upright before Ben Tweed’s was saved by Rabone.

On Saturday, the Brewers are at home to high flying Penistone Church who are nudging a place in the play offs (3pm).

Tadcaster Albion: Romero, Hardcastle, John, Thirkell, Owen (Holmes), Qualter (Ibrahimi), Hines (Oliver). Ellington, Cassius-Gill (Nelson), Tweed, Crosby

Sub Not Used: Kitchen