TADCASTER Albion rescued a late point on their return to the So-Trak Stadium in a tight contest following a 1-1 draw with Eccleshill United.

Zackary Sangster had put the visitors ahead in the second-half and looked to have scored a potential winner, before a late penalty from striker Jordan Hines secured Tadcaster an important point.

It was a welcome return for Charlie Owen, whilst Joe Crosby captained the side in the absence of Dan Thirkell serving his one match suspension following the sending off at Garforth.

Luke Stewart had an early chance from Ben Tweed’s corner and then almost a one-on-one from Olly Norman’s through ball but he was called offside.

With ten minutes played, Eccleshill’s first meaningful attack ended when Sangster’s effort cleared the bar whilst moments later, Matthius Britton found himself in space in the box but he too was offside.

The Brewers best chance arrived on 35 minutes with a defence splitting pass from Stewart, putting Norman through but he chose to round Wilzynski as opposed to shooting from just inside the box and was dispossessed.

Tweed ‘s effort from a Hardcastle pass was cleared for another corner this time met at the far post by the unmarked Conor Qualter, but despite a powerful header to the corner of the net, Wilzynski produced a fine save from close range.

The visitors’ best chances came in the final five minutes of the half. Sangster could not reach a dangerous ball pitched by Roberts across the six-yard box, whilst Talent Ndlovu’s free kick with three minutes left on the clock, was read perfectly by Wilton to prevent any danger.

Albion had had more than their fair share of chances in the opening half – hopefully, they would not rue them.

The game recommenced with Norman’s powerful run down the left flank and an inch-perfect cross to Stewart almost on the goal-line at the far post. Alas, he could not connect properly and somehow the visitors managed to clear.

Then on 67 minutes, Tadcaster were made to pay for their inability to convert any of the potential goal scoring moves.

Eccleshill burst from defence with Roberts putting a short ball to Sangster free on his right and only yards from the goal line. It was a simple tap in and Albion were one down.

Tad answered with more pressure but again, no goals. Holmes nodded over from Tweed’s corner, whilst Collins put Crosby away but he could not connect.

There was a chink of light on 73 minutes when Eccleshill were reduced to ten men, Britton given his marching orders following a second yellow card for kicking the ball away.

Mick O’Connell quickly rung the changes to take advantage with three substitutions in five minutes, Jayden John, debutant Reece Ellington and Luca Nelson on for Collins who pulled up injured, Hardcastle and Norman, respectively.

The pressure finally brought its dividend in the eighty eighth minute. Hines was fouled in the six-yard area and duly dusted himself down to send Wilzynski the wrong way, surely earning Tadcaster a point at a minimum.

With six minutes added time, The Brewers almost gave a goal away but for an immense clearance from the box by Sam Kitchen.

Still, Albion had chances to clinch a win; Tweed took the free kick following Qualter being clattered by Sangster just outside the area but to no avail and again in the last action of the game, but Wilzynski did what was necessary to see his team return home with a point.

Tadcaster take on Handsworth at the SoTrak Stadium on Tuesday, February 6 (7.45pm) ahead of a free weekend for the Brewers.

Tadcaster Albion: Wilton, Hardcastle (Ellington), Owen, Holmes, Qualter, Collins (John), Stewart (Hines), Kitchen, Crosby, Tweed, Norman (Nelson)