TEN-MEN Tadcaster Albion were frozen out in a 4-1 defeat at Garforth Town, with their NCEL premier division clash taking place on what had seemed to be the coldest evening of the New Year.

Albion were on the front foot from the start, with Sam Kay flicking the ball into the six-yard area but alas nobody was ready.

With a quarter hour played, Josh Hardcastle’s cross landed just beyond the post whilst Sam Kitchen thumped a low ball straight at Flatters which looked at it might go through the keepers’ legs but he recovered just in time.

So well and good but the hosts were settling and ex-Brewer, Sam Barker, in particular, was starting to cause problems as Garforth eased themselves into the match.

On 20 minutes Garforth took the lead. Calamitous defending in the box was pounced on by Matt Antcliff who from an acute angle blasted the shot beyond Wilton.

Antcliff almost doubled his tally as he cut through with a fierce strike from 20-yards which fortuitously was chested out by the Tad goalkeeper.

Tadcaster sought to calm things but on 34 minutes it went from bad to worse; Garforth broke at speed through the middle of the park and a perfect ball to Charlie Marshall was despatched at the first touch beyond the hapless Wilton.

With half-time approaching, the Brewers had a chance to claw one back; Jaydon John found Crosby in space on the left flank but he was dispossessed before he could unleash his shot.

In the very last minute of the half. Albion’s woes doubled when Thirkell upended Barker 20-yards out and after some deliberation referee Blackham produced a second yellow card, resulting red card. The free kick from Jay Davis was fractionally wide.

Elliot Holmes replaced John as the second half began – manager Mick O’Connell taking the necessary steps to bolster the defence, with Joe Crosby assuming the captain’s arm-band.

That said, Garforth were full of confidence and you sensed that from Tad’s viewpoint, it was now a matter of damage limitation.

Wilton made a vital reaction save just before the hour mark from Davis’s cross.

On 65 minutes Crosby was through but the move ended with a decisive interception from Jamie Barkway.

In arguably the best period for Tadcaster in the second half Hardcastle put Norman away but his ankles were clipped – Kitchen took the free kick but it was an easy save for Flatters.

Luke Stewart then replaced Olly Norman, who had not stopped running throughout the match, but within seconds the Miners were three up as substitute Nash Connolly scored with his first touch of the ball.

Barkway went close from a corner but on 76 minutes the hosts made it four when Coupland’s curling free kick squirmed in at the far post.

Charlie Owen made a welcome return in place of Cody Collins as time ebbed away but Tad were lucky not to concede further when Emery slammed a free kick onto the post following Kitchen’s foul just outside the area.

In a quirky end to the game, Garforth scored an own goal when Flatters missed judged a back pass and try as he may, could not stop the ball trickling into the net, almost in comical fashion with Tadcaster clawing back a consolation goal.

On Tuesday evening, Tadcaster are back on home soil to Wakefield in the Quarter-final of the West Riding County Cup (7.45pm) before a return to NCEL action on Saturday, February 3 (3pm) when Eccleshill United visit.

Tadcaster Albion: Wilton, Hardcastle, Collins (Owen), Qualter, Thirkell, Tweed, Kitchen, Norman(Stewart) , Crosby, Kay (Hines), John (Holmes)

Subs not used: Romero.