YORK City Ladies travelled to Broadhurst Park on Sunday, as they returned to league action for the first time since the last week in November.

Steph Turnbull's side weren't able to kick-off the New Year with three points, and were instead held to a goalless stalemate with FC United of Manchester.

In the opening exchanges, it was the home side who came closest to opening the scoring when Becky Sidwell tipped a free kick onto the crossbar and the midfielder, with the goal at her mercy, smashed it over the bar.

Just minutes later, the Minsterbelles had a great chance of their own when Ruby Gore was threaded through on goal, but her shot was saved by Sophie Donald.

Arguably the best chance of the first half fell to Chaneece Reeves, who latched onto a through ball, but her tame shot was saved by Sidwell.

In the 19th minute, Turnbull was forced into her first change, with Gore making way for debutant Kelly Garcia.

The Minsterbelles finished the first half on the front foot, with Jess Heald and Sophie Tinson going close before Jess Holder saw her header well saved before she fired a free kick just over the bar.

In need of a fast start after the break, Turnbull’s side had a glorious opportunity in the 48th minute when Milly Ash’s strike was well saved by Donald.

Striker Tinson then cut inside from the edge of the area and saw her strike rattle the far post. Ash latched onto the rebound, but her strike was straight at the FC keeper.

The home side were then, also, denied by the post when Reeves muscled her way into the area but could only hit the frame of the goal.

Sidwell was called into action just minutes later when she got down quickly to save a header from inside the area.

In the final few seconds, Tinson capitalised on a defensive error and took a shot from distance but it was comfortably saved by Sophie Donald.

The Minsterbelles had to settle for a well-earned point at Broadhurst Park and turn their attention to County Cup action on Sunday (2pm), when they travel to TIBS.