RAWCLIFFE were the surprise winners of the York Minster Engineering League Senior Cup after a 3-0 penalties success over Dringhouses at the LNER Community Stadium, writes Graham Ireton.

The final was paused after just six minutes, with Dringhouses forward Wilson Briggs taken to hospital with a broken leg.

As a result of the challenge leading to the injury, Rawcliffe were reduced to 10 men.

Chances were few and far between though Rawcliffe goalkeeper Joe Carter had to produce an excellent save on 25 minutes to deny a low strike from Sam Drake.

Five minutes later and 'Houses Matthew Mulhearn carved out a decent chance for himself, but his finish went wildly over the bar.

The second period followed a similar pattern, with Dringhouses' normally potent forward-line looking fairly toothless in attack, while the 10-men Rawcliffe defended resolutely.

Rawcliffe stopper Joe Carter denied an effort from Dringhouses namesake Cole Carter, with Stuart Rice lifting the ball over the advancing 'Houses keeper and narrowly wide of the post during a rare Rawcliffe attack with 10 minutes to go.

As they had done at last year's winners Wigginton Grasshoppers in the quarter-final, Rawcliffe held their nerve well in the shootout, with Edward Clapham, Dave Hartas and Stuart Rice all dispatching their first three kicks successfully, completing a remarkable cup double alongside the Reserve Cup.

The League Junior Cup final followed between Garforth Lord Gascoigne and Hamilton Panthers.

The Panthers looked the sharper side throughout the first half and Jamie Thornton created himself several decent chances in the opening 45 minutes but could not find a way past goalkeeper Cameron Gomersall.

Jayden Hemingway and Jed Hudson also went close for Garforth in the opening period, but the game was goalless at the break.

The second period produced the same level of openness, with Thornton and substitute Thomas Walsh both having opportunities to send Panthers ahead.

Hamilton Panthers goalkeeper Max Thomas was also on alert, producing a couple of neat saves to keep his side on level terms.

However, with five minutes to go, it was Garforth substitute Ryan Peate who finally broke the deadlock, producing a neatly-taken finish from the edge of the box to seal the cup for Lord Gascoigne, their first silverware since joining the league.

Prior to the Senior Cup game, there was a curtain-raiser, with F1 Racing Under-19s facing a York FA U19s League representative side.

Max Bauer put the hosts ahead after latching onto the rebound following a Will Hartley strike that was tipped onto the post.

F1 Keeper Jonny Dash then made a great save to deny the Rep side a second goal before opposite number Tom Walker produced a magnificent save of his own to keep the scores level.

A well-taken goal from Eddie Hopper then made it 2-0 with five minutes to go to the interval, but Alex Clark headed home three minutes later to make it 2-1 at the break.

The second period saw F1 come racing out of the blocks, and Dan Hickey produced an excellent finish to lift the ball over the keeper and make it 2-2.

Troy Greening then produced a first-time finish to restore the Representative side's lead, only to see Ethan Kay produce a quality finish to level the scores at 3-3.

It was to be the Reps' day though with a goal worthy of winning any game. Greening ran through one-on-one with the keeper before neatly flicking the ball over the stopper and leaving him with no chance of making the save, and rounding off a 4-3 victory.