"It means everything" was the view of one group of York City fans after their team secured promotion back to the National League.

The celebrations were Europe-wide with Minstermen fans in Turkey, France, Spain and Sweden joining in both during and after the game.

"Brilliant, absolutely brilliant," and "they played superbly," were some of the comments from fans as they left the stadium.

Simon Pickering, Roy Clarkson and his son Olly have been with their club every minute of the long five years in the National League (North).

They were delighted when the club's first full season in their new stadium was crowned with promotion.

"It means everything to get back where we belong," said Roy. "It's like being at Wembley. It's the most incredible feeling.

"We're going to need a bigger stadium."

"It's been five years of pain," said Simon. Looking forward, he hoped the club would not be carried away by the success.

"We've got to take it steady next season," he said. "A mid-table place."

The queue to get into the LNER Community Stadium before the sell-out play-off final match with Boston United stretched out of sight.

Away supporters were confident, home fans, perhaps remembering that Boston had beaten the Minstermen twice in the league this season, less confident.

Sam Brown was hoping for as good a result as when he went with York City to Wembley in 2012.

He was looking forward to being in the new stadium because, he said, the acoustics were better than at Bootham Crescent.

When Lenell John-Lewis scored for York five minutes into the match, the Minstermen roar could be heard half a mile away.

There was disappointment for fans who had paid to watch a livestream of the match - several reported problems with the feed and decried the lack of replays.

As the match progressed, fans' partners shopping at Vangarde Shopping Centre to fill in the time could be heard saying "It is still 1 - 0?"

They were reassured by the thunderous cheers when Maziar Kouhyar's goal sealed the victory late on.

Boston United fans started leaving the stadium before the final whistle, with the Ministermen's chant "we are going, we are going up" sending them on their way. They didn't want to talk about the match.

But York City fans did.

Following a pitch invasion that delayed the on-pitch presentations, the celebrations continued outside.

Crowds of York City supporters gathered outside the turnstiles banging drums, chanting and dancing.

Police were out in force, in case of trouble. Crowd barriers were put in place to protect the away team's bus.

But all the police reported afterwards was "Congratulations York City".