FORMER York City Knights star Ash Robson has announced his retirement from rugby league.

Robson joined York in 2017 and spent three seasons with the Knights, scoring 27 tries in 47 appearances.

The full-back and winger was a near ever-present in the 2018 Betfred League One title win although injuries saw him play just four times in the following season and depart at the end of the year.

Since then, Robson has linked up with York Acorn, his junior amateur club, but he has now decided to hang up his boots.

Robson, who began his professional career at the Leeds Rhinos academy and played three times for Castleford Tigers in the Betfred Super League, revealed the news on social media.

He said: "I've played at every standard possible in this country, met some belting blokes, staff and fans across four brilliant clubs that I love to bits.

"I'm very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time and spent all these years playing at a decent level and I'm eternally grateful to all the staff, coaches and doctors that have helped me along the way."

Meanwhile, Robson's former club Acorn remain bottom of the National Conference League premier division after a 20-12 defeat at Pilkington Recs.

The visitors led 12-6 at half time thanks to Josh Parker's two tries which were both converted by Antony Chilton.

Pilkington, who had scored through Kyran Knapper in the first half, fought back and hit 14 unanswered points via Lewis Caine and Mike Houghton tries and three further Knapper goals.

Acorn host mid-table Siddal on Saturday (2.30pm).

Elsewhere, Heworth are still a point adrift of NCL division two leaders Crosfields following an easy 38-4 win over Woolston Rovers.

The Villagers stormed into an early lead on four minutes as some slick handling put young winger Jay Ogilvie over for his first NCL try.

A similar move down the right then saw George Elliott break the Woolston line before adding his first of five goals.

Heworth's third try quickly followed as Billy Sturdy crossed in the corner after a 40-metre break by prop Liam Richmond.

On the stroke of half time, Tyler Craig raced over to bring up a 20-0 lead at the break.

York City Knights trialist Ben Barnard added his name to the scoresheet after the interval before Richmond grounded Danny Allan's reverse kick.

Rovers registered a consolation score through Jake Toher but had the final word on the contest as Jack Earl hit a late close-range try.

Heworth entertain Dewsbury Celtic on Saturday (2.30pm).