A LATE equaliser from Luke Balderson ensured that Selby Town left Retford with a 2-2 draw in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League division one.

Selby went in front through Harry Clapham's header just after the half-hour mark but two goals in the space of four minutes saw Retford ahead with a couple of minutes remaining.

Town managed to snatch a point when Luke Balderson's sublime strike levelled up on 88 minutes.

The result extends Selby's unbeaten run in the NCEL to nine matches and keeps them fifth in the table, occupying the division's final play-off spot with a four-point cushion to nearest challengers Rossington Main.

It would well have been all three points though for the Robins who were comfortably the best side in the first half.

Clapham had a shot blocked, Liam Flanagan twice shot over the bar as he cut inside and Dan Davison had a close-range shot that was just wide of the target.

The dangerous aforementioned Clapham broke the deadlock for Selby as a perfect cross from the left by Flanagan was met by his head, guiding the ball past the Retford goalkeeper.

Flanagan almost turned from provider to scorer when a mazy run across field from Harry Sheppard saw him feed the strike who cut in, but once again rifled his shot just over the angle of post and bar.

Before half time, Clapham put the ball in the net once more, only to be denied by the offside flag. Had some better finishing been on show, Selby would have led for more comfortably than 1-0.

The second half was completely different affair with Selby finding it hard to create anything of note and clinging on for long periods.

Town keeper Jody Barford was regularly called into action against an opposition who were mounting attack after attack.

A superb double save was the pick of his work. Firstly he flung himself to his left to keep out a shot destined for the corner of his net, and then he was up in time to block the point blank follow up.

The inevitable Retford equaliser arrived in the form of substitute Zach Casburn. A lofted ball to the back post saw him rise above accompanying defenders to plant the ball in the net for a deserved leveller.

Retford quickly scored again, once more it was a header from a set piece as Liam Bennett rose to head past Barford.

A couple of months ago, Selby would have folded, but in its current frame of mind. A Balderson twisting run saw him shoot just wide.

Town’s efforts were not to be denied. A long ball up to Clapham saw him set the ball back to Balderson and running onto a ball 25 yards out, the substitute lashed a rocket low shot past the Retford goalkeeper.

With only minutes to go Selby were pressing for the winner, and then came a very controversial incident.

Clapham reached a high ball nodding it past his defender and running past the player. The forward was forced to the ground, by the defender who looked to be denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Unfortunately for Selby, the incident came to nothing and they had to settle for a point.

Selby return to the Plant Hire Fairfax Stadium to host Harrogate Railway Athletic on Saturday, a side who sit just one spot above Town in fourth.