SELBY Town's promotion push from the Toolstation Northern Counties East League division one continues to gather pace after sealing a 5-0 rout at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic, writes Phil Dearnley.

Selby, who are on a run of four straight wins and are without defeat in their last five league matches, and sit 10 points adrift of top spot.

On a near-perfect evening for Town, the unchanged visitors took the lead in just the first minute. Selby's counter attack proved deadly as Liam Flanagan's shot into the ground bounced past the goalkeeper and into the right corner.

The Selby full-backs were causing Worsbrough significant threats and their second goal owed much to the left foot of left-back Luke Sellers.

He whipped in a cross which the Bridge defence could only clear back to him. After spotting Dan Davison making a run to the near post, Sellers passed along the ground for the midfielder to touch past the goalkeeper.

Selby were being forced into the odd piece of defending but were generally in control and their third goal duly arrived before the half hour mark.

Chris Murray stepped forward to break up an attack in centre field and forward ball into the right channel caused all sorts of confusion for goalkeeper and defence.

Their attempted clearance ricocheted against the pressing Flanagan to Harry Clapham, who was not going to miss the empty goal from 20 yards out.

Town could easily have had a penalty and perhaps a fourth before when the Worsbrough goalkeeper appeared to punch Ryan Gothard rather than the ball at a corner. The referee was not persuaded.

Selby could easily have had more than five, a point highlighted when Clapham rolled the ball into the six-yard box for Flanagan who somehow missed.

Luke Balderson instead grabbed goal number four. Played in by a cute Kain Rogerson pass, he absolutely smashed his shot past the opposition goalkeeper.

The final Selby goal arrived in stoppage time at the end of the game. A Town corner was hit towards the near post, and was helped on towards the centre of the goal.

There was a scramble that ended with a Selby player on the ground, and the referee pointing to the penalty spot.

Up stepped Liam Flanagan, with a clinical penalty into the corner of the net.

Selby reach the halfway stage of their league season when they host Shirebrook Town on Saturday (2pm).