A 95TH-MINUTE equaliser meant that Tadcaster Albion could only draw 1-1 away to Brighouse Town, writes Olly Wood.

Des Amponsah put Tadcaster in front after less than half an hour and Albion looked set to be heading for all three puts until Laurence Sorhaindo’s late leveller.

Tadcaster means they are now unbeaten in five matches in all competitions since the appointment of new manager John Deacey.

A draw for the Brewers leaves them three points clear of the Pitching In Northern Premier League east relegation zone.

Tadcaster will be ruing not being further away from the drop zone having been in front for more than an hour.

The opening quarter had seen very few chances, with Freddie Sass, Corey Roper and Amponsah all providing catching practise for Brighouse goalkeeper Brett Souter.

On 29 minutes though, Tadcaster broke the deadlock. Donald Chimalilo danced past his marker on the right flank, delivered a perfect low pass for Eddie Church who, with a deft flick, was denied by the keeper.

But the ball popped up nicely for Amponsah who managed to fire home.

Two minutes later, Chimalilo again weaved his way in and out, taking on three defenders and his eventual effort deflecting wide for a corner.

From the resultant set piece, Chimalilo picked out Jack Crook, but his header lacked the requisite power and the keeper claimed it.

Just under ten minutes before the break, the impressive Kieran Burton made a fantastic block-tackle to deny Elliot Harrison who had found space in the Taddy box.

Tadcaster went into the break ahead having edged a very evenly-fought first 45 minutes.

Brighouse came out strongly in the second half and Brewers shot-stopper Ally Hughes was called into a save to his right to keep the visitors in front.

Shiraz Khan was Town’s danger man and he cut inside and had a strike push around the post by Hughes.

With under 20 minutes remaining, Brighouse continued to mount pressure on Tadcaster, with Hughes smothering another home side effort.

Albion managed to utilise the wings to strong effect and muster a couple of late efforts on the counter attack.

Captain Simon Russell half-volleyed wide of the far post then substitute Charlie Marshall, having turned well in the box, saw his left-footed shot deflected to safety.

In the dying stages, a Tadcaster corner almost brought a spectacular goal - in what would have proven to be the winner - when Kesi Omolokun tried a bicycle kick but the effort was narrowly off target.

Then came heartbreak for Tadcaster in added time on top of the additional four minutes.

Brighouse delivered a free kick which was headed across goal and Sorhaindo fired a volley into the corner to level the game.

Tadcaster will be hoping to return to winning ways when they visit Bishopton Road to face eighth-placed Stockton Town this weekend.

Elsewhere, Pickering Town are preparing for a crucial relegation six-pointer at home to Sheffield FC on Saturday.

The Pikes sit bottom of the NPL east table, having picked up just one win from their first 13 matches.

Pickering are currently five points adrift of safety in 16th-place, which is held by Sheffield.

Steve Roberts’ side will be hoping to seal a first league win at Mill Lane this term.