SELBY Town are on a run of five matches without a win after suffering a 2-1 home defeat to North Ferriby FC, writes Phil Dearnley.

The latest setback for the Robins sees them drop to 10th in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League division one table, six points adrift of the play-off places.

A season-high attendance of 457, including a sizeable following from East Yorkshire, had turned out at the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium, but Town were unable to put their promotion back on course.

Selby had started the contest brightly, with Harry Clapham winning an early corner and Flynn McNaughton producing a teasing cross, both of which were smother by the North Ferriby defence.

The visitors soon took control, with their backline quickly dominating the Town attack before establishing superiority in the middle of the park.

North Ferriby began to display warning signs as, in quick succession, they had headers flash inches wide of the target.

It was no surprise then when the Villagers took an early lead.

Once again, their passing had the Selby midfield chasing shadows and Josh Whiteley latched onto an incisive pass before dispatching past Dylan Parkin.

On 25 minutes, Town got their long-awaited chance on goal. Set piece specialist Liam Flanagan struck a free kick towards the top corner, only for goalkeeper Jordan Douglas to make a stunning flying save.

It turned out to be the only time he was required to make a serious save all match.

North Ferriby remained in control of the game, and capable of adding to their tally, and so it was that they notched their second five minutes before the break.

A long high ball forward was totally misjudged by the Town defence, putting Danny Emerton in behind the backline and coolly slotting the ball past the exposed Parkin.

As the half time break arrived, Selby had a mountain to climb in next 45 minutes.

Despite manager Christian Fox making attacking substitutions at the interval, it was North Ferriby who had the first real chance as the home defence gratefully scrambled a shot off the goal line.

The ball was in the back of the Selby net again, though the Robins could breathe a sigh of relief when the effort was disallowed for a foul in the build up.

Ryan Cooper stepped off the bench and he came closest to breaking Selby’s duck as his header from a corner met a defender on the post.

Try as they might, Town just could not reduce the deficit, with McNaughton and Charlie Clamp both having efforts blocked.

In time added on Ryan Cooper slid in Flynn McNaughton, only, typically, for a defender to pull off a terrific block to his shot.