SELBY Town have been knocked out of the FA Vase at the second round qualifying stage after suffering a 2-0 defeat at Winterton Rangers, writes Phil Dearnley.

Selby were in charge of the game after a strong first-half showing, despite the opening 45 minutes finishing scoreless.

But after Winterton took an early two-goal lead after the restart, the home side began to dominate proceedings, with only the brilliant of goalkeeper Dylan Parkin preventing a rampant Rangers running riot.

Town made a bright start and caused Winterton early problems when Flynn McNaughton saw a shot blocked and Harry Clapham placed an effort wide.

Having restricted the Rangers to long-range efforts, Selby had two good opportunities to go in front, both of which fell to Liam Flanagan.

First, the striker failed to find the target in a one-on-one with the Winterton goalkeeper and then a heavy touch spurned another shot from McNaughton's pass.

Luke Sellers was the next Robins player to have a shot on goal, only to see the ball deflect wide.

From the resulting corner, Blake Drury headed just over the crossbar.

Chances for Selby continued to flow right until the half-time whistle. Clapham pounced on a misjudged Winterton clearance and dribbled a shot agonisingly wide.

Selby struggled to replicate the dominance shown in the first half after the restart and just five minutes after the interval found themselves two goals down.

Almost straight from the kick-off, Winterton's Luke Anderson hit a shot which looped over Dylan Parkin and into the back of the net.

Immediately after Josh Walker went bearing down on the Selby goal, only to be flagged offside.

That was only a temporary reprieve. Sam Aynsley drove towards goal and his low cross found Jamie Ture who calmly slotted the ball home from 10 yards out.

Selby struggled to make chances thereafter, though McNaughton's went close with a header over the woodwork.

Clapham also came similarly close from a header which was spectacularly cleared off the line by Ryan Douglas with the goalkeeper well beaten.

At the other end, Parkin continued to keep the Winterton attacks at bay, with his number of saves steadily racking up.

He produced a sharp stop to tip an effort over the bar before a save from a point-blank range header.

His best was saved until last when Parkin again denied the Rangers from close range.

The final whistle was blown to put Town out of their misery and out of the cup.

Selby return to Toolstation Northern Counties East League division one action tomorrow night at home to Glasshoughton Welfare.