YORK City eased into the third round qualifying of the FA Cup with a 3-0 win over Hebburn Town at the LNER Community Stadium.

With better composure in the final third, the Minstermen should have taken a far more dramatic scoreline than they did into the break, Michael Woods putting them 1-0 up.

Hebburn were easily contained by York but the hosts' constant frustration was that they could not make add to their advantage - not until 10 minutes after the break, when Clayton Donaldson guided home a Mackenzie Heaney cross.

The game seemed to be winding down with half an hour to go before Donaldson - from a gorgeous Woods ball - poked home a third to seal their safe passage.

York manager Steve Watson was able to welcome Michael Duckworth and Josh King back into the fold for Saturday’s visit of Hebburn. Duckworth started on the left of the back four.

They were two of three changes Watson made to the starting 11 from the league win over Farsley Celtic a fortnight ago.

Mackenzie Heaney was also recalled to the line-up having started the last two games on the bench.

Sam Fielding was given a rest on the bench while midfielder Paddy McLaughlin missed out entirely with a thigh problem. Loanee Jaden Charles went back to Mansfield Town in the week.

The bench was a youthful one with midweek City Academy goalscorer Josh Knowles, Luke Jones, Jonny Haase, Maison Campbell and Lewis Cunningham alongside Fielding and Harrison Hopper.

Hebburn manager Kevin Bolam kept his faith in top scorers Connor Bell and Olly Martin – who have 11 goals between them – as well as Amar Purewal, who got the all-important goal at Ashton United in the previous round of the Cup.

Norwegian striker David Allasan completed his move to Hebburn yesterday. He went straight into the side among the substitutes.

York saw more of the ball in the opening stages but, despite exciting passages of play dotted around, their possession was far from convincing. Olly Dyson, continuing at right-back, dinked a delightful ball into the six-yard box after good interplay with Heaney near the touchline, but no one was there to nod home.

The opener arrived in the 16th minute following a sustained passage of possession. Donaldson rose well to head a cross back across goal. Keeper Mark Foden got a fingertip to it but could only push it into the path of one of the many City players arriving in the box. The ball was laid off for Woods, who hammered home.

Possession was pretty much all City’s, Hebburn producing only occasional flurries, and the York back line mopping up pretty much everything that came their way with ease.

But convincing chances for the hosts did not seem to be arriving with any reliable frequency.

Either side of the goal, Donaldson had decent efforts, the first saved from close range after he cut in from the right, the second cracked off the underside of the crossbar and bouncing out from a rare lightning-fast move.

The real frustration was the lack of composure shown in the final third, and there seemed little need for City to look so rushed. Within the space of a few minutes, both Akil Wright and Heaney feebly lofted long-range efforts well over when they could have reset the move.

A better long-range effort arrived with five minutes to go before the break from Dyson. From right-back, he thundered a rising long-range strike off the crossbar. Willoughby’s header from the rebound went wide.

By the break, City had registered 11 shots on goal, just two of which were on target. They could, and should, have been further ahead.

The long-awaited second goal arrived just over 10 minutes after the restart. Heaney whipped in a trademark wicked inswinger from the right and Donaldson had only to guide the cross with his head into Foden’s bottom-right corner.

With just under 25 minutes to go, both sides looked content to see the game out to its logical conclusion. City did not need to go all out for another goal and Hebburn were too well contained to threaten a way back. Under the low, warm, enervating sun, misplaced passes were rife from both sides.

Dylan Archer picked up the game’s first yellow card with a rash challenge from behind into the ankle of Dyson, who was looking to get away at pace. He went down in some discomfort but was okay to carry on shortly after.

A disjointed York had managed just four efforts as the clocked ticked into the final six minutes - until two of the day's stand-out players linked up, Woods threading a perfect through ball into the Hebburn area for Donaldson to latch on to and poke under Foden.

It should have been four a couple of minutes later when Donaldson put a low cross into the area and a sliding Willoughby somehow sliced his effort onto the roof of the South Stand.

York: Jameson 6, Duckworth 6, Brown 5, Dyson 6, Woods 6, Willoughby 5, Donaldson 6, King 6, Heaney 6, Beck 5 (Fielding HT), Wright 5. Subs not used: Hopper, Jones, Haase, Campbell, Cunningham, Knowles.

Goals: Woods (16), Donaldson (56, 84)

Star man: Michael Woods. A safe pair of hands in midfield, got the vital opener and responsible for a delicious through ball for Donaldson's second goal.

Hebburn: Foden, Groves, Aplin (Spence 59), Carson, Donaghy, Devitt, Potter (Allasan 63), Archer, Bell, Martin (Richardson 80), Purewal. Subs not used: McLeod, Alshabeeb, Ogbewe, Hunter.

Yellow cards: Archer

Referee: Matthew Bacon

Attendance: 1,648 (394 away supporters)

Stats for York / Hebburn

Shots (on target): 18 (5) / 4 (1)

Corners: 3 / 3

Offsides: 4 / 1

Fouls: 7 / 8

Yellow cards: 1