By Graham Ireton

OLD Malton St Mary’s kept up their magnificent start to their York Minster Engineering League premier division season.

Malt defeated Thorpe United 1-0 to make it four wins out of four and maintain their position at the top of the table.

Wigginton Grasshoppers sit second following a hard-fought 2-1 win over Huntington Rovers.

The home side took the lead in the fourth minute when Chris Bivens powered home Zach DiBaggio’s corner, and then had keeper Jordan Holt to thank for two spectacular saves that preserved their lead.

Dan Marshall finally levelled the scores as Rovers continued to push but with the half reaching its conclusion, Wigginton began to press again.

Huntington conceded a penalty two minutes before the break, and lost two players to the sin bin for their reaction to the referee’s decision.

Despite their keeper saving the spot kick, Rovers still went in behind at the break when Gary Newton prodded home a George Foster-Vigors header.

There were no further goals in the second half as Wigginton held on to the lead to collect the points.

Dunnington remain unbeaten after their 5-0 defeat of Hemingbrough United.

Daniel Lister bagged a brace in the win with Harry Lynn, Samson Wildwood and Jason McCloud also making the scoresheet.

Reece Holmes hit a hat-trick in Poppleton United’s 5-1 victory over Tadcaster Magnets. Ben Dale and Jake Wright also netted, with Scott Nicholas replying for the visitors.

Rawcliffe beat Strensall Tigers 3-0. Dan Hobson, Niall Smallwood and James Rothel inflicted the damage.

Alfie Nichols and Toby Edwards struck to earn Kirkbymoorside a 2-2 home draw with Easingwold Town, for whom Ryan Cuthbert and Joshua Gath responded.

Osbaldwick got their division one season off to a flier with a 2-1 win at Malt Shovel. Osso goalkeeper Tom Young was in fine form, producing heroics to limit the opposition strikers’ chances.

Tommy Butterfield did finally manage to get on target for the hosts, but his effort was overhauled by finishes from Oliver Green and Connor Campbell as Osbaldwick drew first blood against their expected promotion rivals.

Pocklington Town started their campaign with a convincing 7-1 victory at Brooklyn. Jack Wright (2), Tom Knowles, Craig Mathie, Josh King, Sam Shipley and Adam Falkingham all made the scoresheet for Pock.

George Rhodes, Tom Kilvington (2) and Crew Elliot fired Haxby Town to a 4-2 triumph at Wombleton Wanderers.

Tockwith beat Stamford Bridge 1-0.

Jack Simpson and Jake Edwards bagged a brace apiece to earn Duncombe Park top spot after the first round of division two fixtures. The goals gave Park a 4-0 success at Ebor Wanderers.

Clifford sit second following a 5-2 win over Heslington. Pollington occupy third place thanks to Mark Baggaley’s two goals, which sunk Rufforth United 2-1.

Sean Gallagher’s two-goal haul saw Cliffe collect a point from their visit to Walnut Tree.

Marius Bratkowski and Adam Millward bagged for the home side in the 2-2 draw. Cliffe had man-of-the-match Ally Harris to thank, the goalkeeper saving a penalty at 1-1 in the first half.

The same 2-2 score was seen at Bubwith, with Wheldrake leaving with a share of the spoils.

Harry Bedford and Daniel Zimer hit the away team’s goals in the encounter.

Crayke United started their York Minster Engineering League division three season on the right side of a nine-goal thriller with South Milford. 

A topsy-turvy game saw Crayke take the lead with an early penalty but after an action-packed first half, they found themselves 3-2 behind at the break.

The sides were locked at 4-4 late on before Crayke sealed their victory right at the death. 

Tom Micklethwaite-Charles (3) and Danny Cornish struck for the visitors, with Tom Green (2), Ethan Oakes (2) and Josh Mann bagging for United.

Matt Fisher and Jayden Hemingway goals gave Garforth LG a 2-0 home win over Copmanthorpe. 

Dan Gibney and Sam McAllister fired a brace apiece for Wilberfoss in a 6-2 defeat of Barmby Moor. Luke McAllister and Steve Mounser completed the hosts’ haul with a Lewis Shepherdson strike and an own goal comprising the visitors’ total.

Robbie Tomlinson hit a hat-trick for Howden in a 4-2 win over Church Fenton. Matthew White hit the fourth goal, with Chris Simpson and Josh Tinker replying for Fenton. 
Fulford defeated Helperby 4-1.

York Shamrocks made a winning start to their league life, defeating division four opponents LNER Builders 4-0. Darren Burke (2), Daryl Byrne and Tom Weets found the net. 

Sporting Knavesmire beat York RI 9-0. Jack Stokell (4), Jamie Rutherford (3), Sam Bibby and Aiden Funnell scored. 

Roy Page and Olly Watkins scored for Elvington Harriers in a 3-2 defeat at Selby Olympia while Bishop Wilton beat Hensall Hawks 3-1.

It was goals galore in Reserve 'A', which saw 23 goals across three games. 

Almost half of those were scored when Dunnington won 6-5 at Rufforth United.

Huntington Rovers won 4-3 at Malt Shovel. Mark Unwin (2), Ashley Lancaster and Andrew Simpson fired Rovers to success with Lewis Foschi, Callum Petch and Cameron Crowder replying. 

John Cooper bagged a brace for Strensall Tigers in their 3-2 defeat to Poppleton United. Danny King (2) and Rich Fletcher notched for Poppy.

In Reserve 'B', Nick Lawrie, Matty O’Connell and Ben Pearson fired Osbaldwick to a 3-0 opening day win at Fulford United. 

Haxby United won 2-0 at Stamford Bridge thanks to goals from Callan Blackstock and Dayton Scott. 

Bishopthorpe White Rose won 4-1 at Rawcliffe, whose consolation came via Sam Smith.
Shaun Corr, Shaun Rayner and Luke Addison struck to get Civil Service off to a winning start in Reserve 'C', beating Selby Olympia 3-2. 

York RI won 4-2 at Garforth. Niall Scott, Danny Stannard, John McKenzie and Jack Emmet found the net for the visitors with Farrar Moore and Matt Hezelgrave replying.