TADCASTER Albion fell to their third straight away defeat of the season after being beaten 2-1 at Shildon AFC, writes Olly Wood.

Two first-half strikes from Shildon’s Dean Thexton was enough to secure a victory for the hosts and see Tadcaster drop to 16th place, having picked up just one win from their first seven matches.

Thexton almost opened his account inside the first 10 minutes when he flashed a free header wide of goal.

Tadcaster goalkeeper Harrison Davison-Hale was then called into action to produce a fantastic one-handed to save to palm over a strong effort, again from Thexton.

The keeper claimed the resultant corner and immediately launched a counter-attack and Marco Basic drove a powerful strike goalwards, with the rebound just eluding Donald Chimalilo.

Despite a period of sustained possession, Albion struggled to make any opening and they were punished just after the half hour mark.

A deep free kick fell to the back post and Chay Liddle’s strike hit the underside of the bar and Thexton followed in to bundle the ball home.

Shildon were almost two goals to the good minutes later but were denied by a brilliant goal-line block from Corey Roper.

On the stroke of half time the hosts doubled their lead and Thexton doubled his personal tally.

A fortunate ricochet handed the striker a one on one which he buried in the final kick of the half.

After the break, the Brewers continued to dictate proceedings and were finally creating more chances.

They pulled a goal back just before the hour mark through defender Dan Hartley, who coolly half-volleyed into the back of the net from returning signing Fraser Papprill’s knock down.

Shildon though remained a threat, particularly on the counter. This was highlighted when Davison-Hale made a strong stop to deny Thexton a hat-trick.

As the game entered its final quarter of an hour, Tadcaster’s shooting became more wayward, with both Hartley and Chimalilo clearing the crossbar.

On from the bench, Romario Vieira also failed to find the target with his edge-of-the-box strike.

Fellow substitute Damien Giliga made an immediate impact, beating the Shildon defence before being cynically brought down 25 yards from goal.

The visitors’ cause in pushing for a late equaliser was hampered when Roper was clattered to the ground and looked in real discomfort until the finish.

Giliga did have one final sighting of goal in stoppage time but his effort from inside the box was comfortably collected by the home goalkeeper.

Tadcaster will be hoping to end their draught of points on the road when they make a trip to Stocksbridge Park Steels (7.45pm) tomorrow evening.

The Sheffield club currently sit eighth in the Pitching In Northern Premier League east and have picked up 10 points from a possible 15 at the Look Local Stadium.

Elsewhere in the division, Pickering Town’s winless run this season extended to eight matches when they drew 0-0 at Yorkshire Amateur.

Although the Pikes are still yet to get off the mark this term, will take confidence from earning a point at sixth-placed Amateur and recording a first clean sheet of 2021/22.

Tommorw night Town travel to leaders Liversedge, who have won all seven of their league games to date.

Elsewhere, Selby Town progressed through the FA Vase first round qualifying after a 5-2 win over Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

Goals from Seon Ripley and Kane Swinburn put the visitors ahead before Kain Rogerson, Luke Sellers and a double from Flynn McNaughton, with a Harry Clapham effort sandwiched in-between, handed the Robins victory.