YORK City Knights’ wait for a win in the Betfred Championship continues after they fell to a 50-22 defeat to a classy London Broncos outfit at the Ealing Trailfinders.

York were well top for large periods of the second half but succumbed to a 18-0 deficit early on, which they rallied to close to 20-10 by half-time.

The energy that York had expended in the opening 40 minutes seemed to tell in the second half as the Knights could not replicate their positive openings and conceded a further 30 points after the break.

The Knights’ latest defeat means their losing streak in the league goes to six games and it is hard not to be fearful heading into the 1895 Cup final at Wembley against the unbeaten-in-the-league Featherstone Rovers next week.

It now feels a long time since York’s early-season win at London in the Challenge Cup and so much has changed since then, namely the spine of the York team.

James Ford named a ninth different half-back pairing in the absence of several regular starters.

Riley Dean was back in after a brief return to parent club Warrington Wolves and partnered Danny Washbrook in the halves.

Leeds Rhinos loanee Corey Johnson debuted from the bench, with Jordan Baldwinson also included. Joe Porter, who suffered an injury last week, dropped out along with James Green and Ben Jones-Bishop.

York should have taken the lead after some London ill-discipline show them camped on the Broncos line. The Knights twice turned down kickable penalty chances and, shortly after a six again, Will Jubb was put into touch.

London immediately made them pay. Chris Clarkson was unable to take a pass 20m from his own line and, a penalty later, conceded after a Sam Scott high shot, Will Lovell crashed over from Jarrod Sammut’s short ball, with Chris Hankinson converting his first of nine goals.

The game then saw a repeat of the first 10 minutes. Once again, York pressed hard against the London line, with Ronan Dixon held up and Dean’s grubber forcing a repeat set, which the capital side again defended.

And, once again, captain Clarkson lost the ball in his own half and a classy show of hands between Sammut, Lovell and Josh Hodson allowed the latter over.

York had had more of the ball, almost all of it deep in London territory, but found themselves 12-0 down against a Broncos side who were clinical in attack.

Midway into the half, another York error led to a third London try. Dean’s pressurised kick ran dead and London marched upfield via some quality offloading.

James Meadows then kicked in-goal and Perry Whiteley completely missed the catch which handed Hankinson an easy touchdown.

As York had twice earlier done, London twice lost possession in their own half in quick succession.

But York couldn’t replicate their opponents on either occasion, an underwhelming Kieran Dixon kick at end of the first and a brilliant try-saving tackle by Hankinson on Whiteley at the end of the second.

On the half hour, the Knights were finally over the line. Dean made a brilliant intercept on halfway and set away Whiteley to race to the corner.

And, just like red buses, another try duly arrived moments later. After Washbrook broke the line, he desperately searched for support which eventually arrived and Kieran Dixon finished the try and scored his first goal.

Just before half-time, London extended their lead to 10 points when Hankinson bagged a penalty goal after a high shot by the aggressive Tim Spears on Sammut.

After the break, York desperately needed the first second-half score, but it was London who snatched it.

Dean fumbled a pass received near London’s line on the last and London, further profiting from a fortunate six-again decision, capitalised when Lovell ploughed over from Greg Richards’ short ball.

On 53 minutes, London rapidly turned defence into attack once more as they went further in front.

A misplaced Kieran Dixon pass fell out of Dean’s grasp and Hankinson held off the challenge of debutant Johnson to dive in.

Now four scores behind the Broncos, York’s attacks were turning desperate. A wild Baldwinson offload began a set that ended in Hankinson far too easily skipping past Baldwinson and teeing up Oliver Leyland’s touchdown under the posts.

The floodgates were now well open as York showcased all of their attacking talents. They spread the ball to the right and Abbas Miski was the latest to cross the whitewash.

York did manage to get some second-half points on the board when, following back-to-back penalties and a six again, Jubb burrowed over from dummy half and Kieran Dixon converted.

But, London’s scoring had not yet finished either. Dean failed to grasp the restart, London forced a drop-out, won a penalty and Pat Moran’s offload metres out gave Robert Oakley the easiest of tries.

With a couple of minutes to go, Ryan Atkins scored his seventh try of the year for York after collecting a neat turn-and-pass from Sam Scott in the line.

In the end, it proved too little too late for a York side who remain desperate for a league win.

London: Leyland, Egodo, Hodson, Hankinson, Miski, Meadows, Sammut, Moran, Oakley, Richards, Lovell, Walters, Hindmarsh-Takyi.

Subs (all used): Jones, Gwaze, Ogden, Blakemore.

Tries: Lovell (7, 45), Hodson (16), Hankinson (21, 53), Leyland (58), Miski (61), Oakley (73)

Goals: Hankinson (9/9)

York: K. Dixon, Bass, Salter, Atkins, Whiteley, Dean, Washbrook, R. Dixon, Jubb, Teanby, Kirmond, Scott, Clarkson.

Subs (all used): Johnson, Spears, Stock, Baldwinson.

Tries: Whiteley (30), K. Dixon (32), Jubb (69), Atkins (78)

Goals: K. Dixon (3/4)

York’s man of the match: Corey Johnson. Impressed on his debut for York and gave some direction to the attack that was lacking in the early stages.