WOODHOUSE Grange CC has honoured the club's founder by naming its facilities 'The Tommy Hobson Cricket Ground'.

Three generations of the founder's family were on hand for the occasion last Sunday.

Farmer Tommy Hobson had been one of the county's leading pre-war league cricketers when he took over Woodhouse Grange farm in 1942.

He soon set about creating a cricket ground for his substantial workforce in one of his fields at the side of the road outside Sutton-on-Derwent.

His farm labourers' impromptu cricket team quickly took off, joining the York Senior League, with Tommy turning back the clock to captain Woodhouse Grange CC to the first two of their 15 league championship titles in 1955 and 1956.

After retiring from playing, he remained the club's driving force for many years as Woodhouse became one of the area's leading outfits. His family, who still farm the fields around the club, have followed in his footsteps as players and administrators.

Unveiling the club's new name boards on either side of the entrance were son Richard, grandson Nick, and great grandson Henry.

Richard, now aged 93, took over from his father as both opening bat and president, and is now the club's honorary life president, handing on the mantle of club president to son Nick.

Henry, meanwhile, is the latest member of the family to come through Woodhouse's junior section and currently plays for the academy side.

In the background of the unveiling, the Woodhouse Grange first XI were in friendly action against Yorkshire Academy. No spectators were present as players in woolly hats dodged sleet and snow showers while the Hobson family bubble safely observed the occasion.