HARRY BUNN scored for the second game in a row to help York City to a 2-1 win over Chester and send the Minstermen ninth in National League North.

In an entertaining encounter, keeper Pete Jameson was called on a couple of times before Bunn broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.

The ever-dangerous Paddy Lacey pulled one back for Chester in an intense second half before Akil Wright secured York the points.

It was a promising performance from York against tough opposition. There will be areas they wish to work on but there were plenty of encouraging signs for the Minstermen.

Jake Cassidy received a second yellow card after players from both sides confronted each other after the final whistle.

There were no changes to the York starting 11 from the side that opened Wednesday’s 3-0 win at Blyth Spartans.

Robbie Tinkler returned to the line-up after coming off at half-time at Croft Park and went into the right of a back four with Matty Brown, Sean Newton and Scott Barrow.

His replacement Kieran Kennedy returned to the bench alongside fellow used Blyth subs Paddy McLaughlin and Reon Potts.

Fresh from his first start for City, Jack Redshaw was deployed along with Harry Bunn, Olly Dyson and Jake Cassidy, the latter who opened his goalscoring account for the Minstermen at Blyth.

Striker Rob Guilfoyle came in for Alex Wollerton on the bench.

Chester managers Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley made two changes to the side that began the 3-0 win over Alfreton Town on Wednesday.

Midweek substitutes Paddy Lacey and Kevin Roberts came into the side, with Brad Bauress dropping to the bench and Joel Taylor missing out completely.

As the clock ticked towards the end of the opening 10 minutes, Bunn rattled the crossbar with a header. Michael Woods did well to dispossess his man in the last line of the Chester defence and Redshaw skipped away with the ball down the right. A stepover and a turn later, he drifted the ball into the box, where Bunn met it. Though in space, the striker was stationary and did well to generate the power he did.

Chester forged their first chance on goal just before the 20th minute. A good chance it was, too, and Pete Jameson had to stay big to block a close-range effort from the epitome of a defence-splitting through ball.

From the corner resulting from the save, Lacey was given too much space in an advanced position on the right, but his low cross evaded everyone.

Patient build-up play produced York’s first chance for a good quarter of an hour and Cassidy had a powerful effort palmed away by keeper Louis Gray for a corner, from which Bunn netted the opener. The set piece went short to Scott Barrow, who drilled an effort into the penalty area, from where Bunn turned home.

Chester went straight up the other end a drew a fantastic save from Jameson, who leapt well and forced it round the post with an outstretched hand.

Lacey had the Blues’ next effort but – when laid off by George Glendon – dragged just wide.

By the half-time whistle, it had been a lively, free-flowing encounter, with just a handful of free kicks given by half-time. Chester had looked marginally the more in control of the ball going forward by the midway mark and got in behind York's back line more often than the hosts would have liked.

But City grew into the game after their opener and shaded the shots tally by the time the second half kicked off. Neither midfield had put a definitive stamp on proceedings, though City's attacking quartet continued to impress and provide an outlet.

One of the four, goalscorer Bunn, thought he was away after the ball broke nicely for him with just two minutes gone after the restart, but he was pulled up after sending his man sprawling.

He had the chance to double his tally and his side’s lead by the 50th minute. From the recycled ball after Newton’s out-swinging free kick was cleared, Redshaw chipped across the area and Bunn brought it down on his chest but his volley was poorly controlled.

The first half had been fast-paced but the second was even faster and more intense.

Lacey pulled one back for Chester just before the hour mark. The attacker – who had been a thorn in York’s side – was involved in a good give-and-go, taking a tricky return pass under his control before spinning and firing low to Jameson’s right.

Lacey was involved soon after in teeing up a team-mate to drive at Jameson’s goal. The deflected effort was not far away, though York were able to relieve the pressure following an overly elaborate set piece set-play.

Akil Wright put the hosts back in front in the 70th minute. Dyson’s determination got him past his marker on the touchline and he switched play to Redshaw. The ball was eventually put behind for a corner, from which Wright rose well and placed his header into the bottom right corner.

Chester came back quickly at York and rapid passing eventually teed up Jamie Morgan to fire low across the face of Jameson’s goal and out for a goal kick.

As the clock moved into added time, Danny Elliott came close with an acrobatic effort.

York: Jameson 7, Tinkler 6, Brown 7, Newton 7, Barrow 6, Wright 6, Woods 6 (McLaughlin 65), Dyson 6 (Kennedy 78), Redshaw 6 (Potts 69), Bunn 7, Cassidy 6. Subs not used: Flatters, Guilfoyle.

Star man: Pete Jameson. City continue to entertain at the top end of the pitch but Jameson put in another confident performance between the sticks to ensure their efforts were rewarded.

Goals: Bunn (31), Wright (70)

Yellow cards: Tinkler, Cassidy, Bunn

Red cards: Cassidy

Chester: Gray, Morgan, Grand, Lacey, Livesey, K Roberts, Johnston (Hughes 75), Glendon, Elliott, Weeks (Dudley 75), Goodwin (Waring 75). Subs not used: Hughes, Dudley, Bauress, G Roberts, Waring.

Goals: Lacey (58)

Yellow cards: (One suspected in post-match fracas)

Stats for York / Chester

Shots (on target): 8 (5) / 10 (6)

Corners: 5 / 5

Offsides: 3 / 0

Fouls: 11 / 7

Yellow cards: 3 / 1

Red cards: 1 / 0