TADCASTER Albion fell to their third straight Northern Premier League north/west division defeat on Saturday when they were beaten 2-1 at home by Ramsbottom United.

The sides went into the break level after Bailey Thompson cancelled out Domaine Rouse's opener but a wonder goal from Rams captain Tom Kennedy 12 minutes from time proved decisive.

Debutant Romario Vieira, back at Tadcaster after four years away, looked sharp and bright all game.

He was the first man to try his luck following good work out wide on the left from Thompson and Simon Russell but the 20-yard drive was inches wide.

Vieira was again involved around 15 minutes with a curling effort which was heading for the bottom corner but Ramsbottom keeper Lloyd Allinson saved well.

Ramsbottom grew into the game after Vieira’s early efforts. Sefton Gonzales saw a shot pushed to safety by Will Appleyard in the Tadcaster goal and, seconds later, Daniel O’Brien’s effort was also tipped wide of the post.

The visitors took the lead in the 21st minute when Rouse, on the follow-up, fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the area after Russell had made an outstanding block to deny Gonzalez.

Albion reacted well and Santos almost levelled the game on the half-hour mark but he was denied by for an important block from a Ramsbottom defender.

With eight minutes to go to the interval, Thompson finished off a goal-of-the-season contender. The build-up was sublime as Kevin Dos Santos drove at the visitors' defence before finding Junayd Pandor, who provided a fantastic backheel for striker Thompson to put it brilliantly into the far corner.

The goal gave Tadcaster a lift as Vieira pitched an inch-perfect pass in behind the Ramsbottom defence for James Ngoe, whose cross was cleared.

However, there was a late scare for The Brewers as O’Brien managed a long-range low effort, but Appleyard got down to turn the ball away. The resulting corner grazed Khalil Osi-Efa’s head before going wide of the goal.

The second half was more of the same with both sides battling hard and cancelling each other out.

Pandor delivered two very good crosses early in the half but neither found a Tadcaster player. O’Brien had a goal disallowed for offside while, on the counter-attack, Santos found himself one-on-one and tried to round the keeper but Allinson did well to dive and take the ball.

With both sides battling hard and the hour mark passed, it looked like the next goal would win the game. And with 12 minutes to go, the ball came in from the right to Kennedy, in space around 25 yards out. He cut inside and found the far corner with a thunderous strike.

Jack Crook replaced Simon Russell for the final push. In the 90th minute, a good chance fell to Vieira but although he guided his free kick around the wall, Allinson held it well.

Despite the result, there were so many positives to take from the game as Tadcaster ready themselves for another home game coming up at 7.45pm tonight against Prescot Cables.

Pickering Town travel to Marine in the league tonight (7.45pm).

Selby Town's Northern Counties East League division one trip to East Hull on Saturday was postponed as a coronavirus precaution. The Robins are back in action tomorrow (7.45pm) at Nostell Miners Welfare.