SELBY Town lifted themselves off the bottom of the table with their first Northern Counties East League division one win of the season.

At the sixth time of asking, the Robins claimed three points with a 2-1 victory at Glasshoughton Welfare, who have dropped to the basement spot.

It was a largely assured performance from Selby, whose Brad Freer and Liam Flanagan gave them a two-goal advantage - though Mark Ferguson’s 76th-minute penalty ensured a nervy finish.

In all, the win was well deserved in the end but Selby are aware that even better performances will be needed to climb up the league.

The back line welcomed Ryan Gothard’s return from injury and, for his first appearance of the season, Josh Rogerson at right-back. Danny Snaith provided cover in the midfield along with new signing Danny Davison and Charlie Clamp. Up front, returnee Flynn McNaughton partnered Flanagan and Freer.

From the kick off it was Glasshoughton who pressed forward without being able to create a goal chance.

The Welfare were soon rocked by a Selby goal from virtually their first attack. But the significant psychological blow had more than an element of good fortune.

The ball was played from Dylan Parkin into Gothard, who found a superb long cross-field pass to Freer loitering with intent, wide on the left wing. He eagerly cut inside before unleashing his shot.

His effort did not appear to have the venom, nor the direction that the attacker might have wanted, and the keeper Lewis French was in a good position to make a save - until a scrambling defender diverted the ball into the opposite corner of the net.

Glasshoughton attempted to roar back, and had a good spell of pressure. Town’s defence and midfield stood firm.

Inevitably Glasshoughton did fashion some chances. An attempted chip just was not quite good enough to beat Dylan Parkin. The ball fell to Sam Nelson in the penalty area but he sent his follow-up over.

At the other end, Selby’s attackers were causing the opposition problems. A forceful run from Flynn McNaughton ended with a shot wide.

It took until the 65th minute for the second goal to arrive. A spell of pressure on the Glasshoughton penalty area saw Danny Snaith thread a pass into Charlie Clamp in the inside-right channel and the perfect low cross found Flanagan in full stride at the edge of the six-yard box. At point blank range, he was not going to miss.

Flanagan had the ball in the net again but was ruled out for offside.

With 15 minutes to go, Glasshoughton hen got the break that they were looking for. A soft push by Josh Rogerson earned him a booking, and Glasshoughton a penalty.

Keeper Dylan Parkin saved Ferguson’s initial effort with his feet but was penalised for coming off his line, before being contentiously booked for over-celebrating.

On the retake, Ferguson made no mistake, sending Parkin the wrong way.

The Robins travel to Hall Road Rangers tonight (7.45pm).

Northern Premier League north/west division side Pickering Town have been drawn at home to Runcorn Linnets in the FA Trophy third qualifying round after beating Trafford 1-0 at Mill Lane on Saturday. Jason Barnes netted the winner on the hour mark.