A BRILLIANT solo display from Peter Jameson earned York City a point in a 0-0 draw at home to Brackley Town.

The York goalkeeper made a series of wonderful stops, particularly in the second-half as Brackley took control of the game, to keep City unbeaten in the Vanarama National League North this season.

The Minstermen will certainly have been the happier of the two sides by the finish having just about seen off the mounting pressure on their goal a Brackley side, it must be said, who have finished in the play-offs in each of the past three seasons.

There were a couple of openings for the hosts, particularly through striker Jake Cassidy who hit the bar and had a one-on-one saved. But York were outplayed for large periods and will be looking for plenty of improvements soon.

York made several changes to the side which were beaten at Chorley in the FA Cup in mid-week as expected following injuries to Matty Brown and Michael Duckworth.

Rather unforeseen though was Akil Wright’s absence, presumingly owing to injury also.

Josh King kept his place in the defence having come on as a substitute at Chorley while Harry Bunn came in for his York start. Robbie Tinkler returned from injury and went straight into starting 11.

York and Brackley were the two sides to have conceded the least amount of goals when last season was suspended, so a tight and cagey start was not entirely unexpected.

18 minutes were played at the point in which Brackley created the game’s first meaningful chance as Matt Lowe dragged wide a left-footed effort having cut inside.

Suddenly though, the visitors found their feet, creating a couple of great chances.

Brackley could easily have found themselves in front when a through ball put James Armson up against Jameson, who he rounded a long way out from his goal, though King was in place to block the shot and City dealt with the follow-up.

At the other end, Paddy McLaughlin was close to reaching Scott Barrow’s low cross at the front post.

But Brackley remained the side looking most likely to break the early deadlock as Ethan Coleman headed straight at Jameson from point-blank range.

York’s forward have yet to get off the mark this season and Jake Cassidy was given a perfect chance to end that run on 29 minutes when Michael Woods headed the ball down to give him a one-against-one. Goalkeeper Danny Lewis stood up well and saved his half-volley, though the chance should really have been buried.

Then yet another injury struck for City, having lost Duckworth, Brown and presumably Wright this week. Only 34 minutes into his first start of the season, King hobbled off with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Reon Potts who went straight up front, forcing another defensive reshuffle.

Potts almost made a decisive impact before half-time when he flicked the ball over to the onrushing Woods who could only launch his shot high into the stand from the bouncing pass.

It remained goalless however as the two sides went into the break.

After half-time, things didn't change too much immediately as the Saints continued to look threatening in the air as Lee Ndlovu headed wide a free header from a wide left-flank cross.

Brackley then had an even better chances on 52 minutes when Wes York played through Lowe who returned the pass to the former City forward in a great position in the box.

Jameson rushed off his line and did tremendously to cut off the space and make a fantastic save.

Again Brackley came forward as Lowe this time took fire but it was a far easier stop for Jameson on that occasion. The York shot-stopper was also well placed to catch a Shane Byrne header from a long thrown-in before the hour mark.

By this point, it was one-way traffic upon York's goal as Brackley marksman Ndlovu hit a low shot which Jameson put wide with his feet.

Yet another Brackley chance went begging as Byrne turned in the box and looked certain to find the back of the net, only for a York body in the box to send it out for a corner.

With half an hour remaining, a Brackley opener looked like an inevitability.

On 68 minutes, York finally managed to produce a second-half chance.

Paddy McLaughlin and Olly Dyson exchanged passes before McLaughlin laid off the ball to Woods in a good position inside the area, with his shot going over the bar.

Shortly afterwards, Cassidy again very nearly opened his City account, striking the crossbar from a flicked header from Dyson's perfectly-weighted right-wing cross.

As the game entered its final ten minutes, Brackley continued to push for a winner, this time through substitute Ashley Chambers, a member of York's 2012 'Wembley Twice' team.

The powerful forward kept hold of the ball under some pressure down the left flank before turning inside and bending a shot a few inches wide of goal, though Jameson needed a dive to cover it.

Then, Jameson was required to tip Byrne's accurate shot out for a corner. Byrne floated in the corner to which Jameson met it with a decisive punch, encapsulating his point-saving display.

Hearts were again in mouths as an acrobatic effort from Ndlovu was somehow palmed out by Jameson. Yet again it was agonising viewing when Mitford's shot went straight across the face of goal from a tight angle.

There remained time for Sean Newton to hit a rocket of a shot that was blocked wide but in the end City will have been very relieved to have heard the final whistle having not conceded.

York: Jameson 8, Dyson 6, Kennedy 5, King 6 (Potts 5, 35'), Newton 6, Barrow 6, Tinkler 5, Woods 6, McLaughlin 5, Bunn 5 (Guilfoyle 84'), Cassidy 5. Subs not used: Flatters, Spratt, Gamble.

Yellow cards: Cassidy.

Brackley: Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Coleman, Dean, Lowe, Murombedzi, Ndlovu, York (Mitford 72'), Armson (Chambers 70'). Subs not used: Flowers, Rolt, Noon.

Star man: Peter Jameson. Numerous saves from the York keeper ensured City a clean sheet.