YORK City were knocked out of the FA Cup after falling to a 1-0 defeat at Chorley.

Lewis Reilly hit the only goal of the game from the penalty spot on 18 minutes after York were punished for grappling in the 18-yard box.

That was enough to separate the two sides in a game that was far more closely contested than the 3-1 victory York managed in the league at Bootham Crescent just seven days earlier.

The Minstermen were unfortunate not to have at least taken the tie to penalties, having struck the woodwork in both halves.

There is no doubt that a cup run comes second to securing promotion in the club’s list of priorities, though manager Steve Watson did pick his strongest possible side.

He named an unchanged starting 11 from the side which drew at Farsley Celtic on Saturday, with Josh King and Rob Guilfoyle coming into an extended substitutes bench.

From the start, the rain was teeming down at Victory Park and it was York who were the metaphorical duck to water in creating the early chances.

Inside five minutes, Michael Woods was close rearranging his feet from close range in the penalty area after Jake Cassidy's lay-off before being dispossessed then Akil Wright dragged an effort wide outside the area.

But York were soon dealt a blow as centre-back Matty Brown limped with King replacing him.

Chorley looked to take advantage of the changed backline as Lewis Reilly attempted to break through, though the referee turned down the appeals after Kieran Kennedy's challenge.

The referee was unequivocal though minutes later in giving a Chorley penalty as Harry Cardwell went down a packed area.

Reilly made no mistake in smashing the ball into the left corner, with Peter Jameson sent the wrong way.

Chorley continued to look dangerous through the target man Cardwell, who saw a looping header go across the face of goal and wide.

York responded well from the short period of pressure and by working the ball well in the conditions. They almost got their rewards as Olly Dyson shot straight at keeper Matt Urwin in a twisting effort.

Then, Cassidy again displayed his lauded hold-up play to tee up Michael Duckworth for a well-blocked shot. From the second resultant corner, Kennedy had a header cleared off the line.

Moments after, York were forced into a second change as Duckworth hobbled off. Watson opted to bring on forward Harry Bunn rather than another defender.

Chorley managed one last chance before half-time, again via Cardwell conjured some room from far out which Jameson watched calmer wide than those supporters watching on.

York went even closer when a long cross to the far post found Dyson, now seemingly filling in at right-wing-back, who hit an effort off the crossbar.

On the balance of play, it would have been hard to argue against York deserving to be level at the break.

After half-time, York looked as if there were about to lose another defender when Scott Barrow went down after a late challenge on him.

He was soon back to his feet though and he watched Sean Newton wickedly struck a powerful shot that just had too much height on it.

Even at right-wing-back, Dyson was causing Chorley problems as he put in a wide low cross for Cassidy who could only swing-and-miss at the ball.

At the other end, Jameson had to be alert to punch away a dangerous-looking cross before Mike Calveley launched an effort over the top.

Tempers did flare up for the first time after the hour mark with Chorley unhappy about Michael Woods involvement in a challenge on Urwin after a cross, though the referee decided a talking-to was sufficient.

With 20 minutes remaining, York had been unable to resume their possession-based control on proceedings though, at the same time, Jameson had barely been tested, in terms of saves.

Of course, this scrappy spell suited the leading home side.

Chorley though did manage to threaten through substitute Ollie Shenton whose jumping shot was powerful but a few yards wide.

At this point, Watson made one last throw of the dice with his subs, bringing on forward Reon Potts in Michael Woods’ place.

From nowhere, York then came desperately close to scoring as Newton headed a corner onto the post before a follow-up strike was bundled off the line.

Last-ditch defending was again required to keep out Dyson’s long free-kick with the ball dropping still in the area but behind every City player in the box.

There was one-last chance through a long punt into the area but Chorley managed to hold on to secure progression.

Chorley: Urwin, Birch, Halls, Leather, Baines, Calveley (Rodwell-Grant 65'), Cardwell (Shenton 55'), Reilly, Newby, Garratt (Smith 55'), Walker. Subs not used: Baxter, Putnam, Malakai, Dutton.

Goals: Reilly (18, pen)

Yellow cards: Leather.

York: Jameson 6, Duckworth 6 (Bunn 40', 6), Kennedy 6, Brown 6 (King 9', 6), Newton 6, Barrow 7, Woods 6 (Potts 72', 6), Wright 7, McLaughlin 6, Dyson 7, Cassidy 6. Subs not used: Flatters, Spratt, Gamble, Guilfoyle.

Star man: Olly Dyson. Looked a lively attacking presence in the first-half and filled in well at right-wing-back in Duckworth's absence.