YORK City let slip a one-goal lead at Farsley Celtic as an improved second half for the hosts earned them a 1-1 draw in the National League North.

The Minstermen were looking to build on Tuesday's 3-1 opening-day win over Chorley, and looked to have done that with a superb attacking first-half display, with Sean Newton drilling in the opener.

But the Celts battled their way back into the game in the second half while City lost the control and attacking verve that characterised their first 45.

With seven minutes to play, Dave Syers headed in the equaliser.

There was just the one change for Steve Watson's men from their win over Chorley in midweek. Centre-back Kieran Kennedy came in for Robbie Tinkler, who missed out entirely.

Former Sunderland Under-23s player Owen Gamble joined the substitutes bench, to where Harry Bunn returned following his impressive second-half cameo on Tuesday.

One of three goalscorers against Chorley, Paddy McLaughlin has garnered praise from assistant manager Micky Cummins and continued in his midfield role from the off.

The Celts started term with a 2-1 defeat at Spennymoor Town and made one change from that side, Jake Charles coming in for the injured Will Hayhurst.

Charles - who made two appearances on loan at York in 2016/17 - nabbed a late consolation at Brewery Field with a smart turn and prodded finish from a long throw into the box.

Former Minsterman Tom Allan started for Farsley, for whom he had a successful time on loan at Throstle Nest last season. After receiving a straight red card for handling outside the area keeper Steven Drench was also in the 11.

James Spencer got away the first shot from a frantic opening five minutes. The shot - after Tyler Walton had used his strength well to ease McLaughlin off the ball - was well over.

Once York got their foot on the ball, as opposed to nodding it back and forth, the visitors looked the better side. Olly Dyson was proving a pest up front, chasing down and blocking a Drench clearance at the keeper’s feet. He had earlier got onto an Akil Wright lay-off in the box but wanted too much time and was dispossessed.

Matty Brown forced a reaction save from Drench, rising well to head McLaughlin’s corner into the ground and on target.

Walton was a good outlet for Farsley and a surging run from a cleared York corner earned the Celts a corner of their own. Allan got his head to it first but Jameson was equal to it.

Immediately after, Jake Cassidy had a couple of opportunities, first getting onto a Dyson’s headed flick-on. When through on goal, he cut back and Drench tipped his shot round his left-hand post for a corner, from which Cassidy headed over.

York’s shots-on-goal tally was building already and Michael Duckworth’s rising effort from 30 yards had to be tipped over by Drench.

As the clock ticked towards 30 minutes, City’s promising start had yet to yield a breakthrough. Farsley were allowed more into the contest but had little more to for it than a handful of free kicks and a shot that went just wide. To their credit, they were resilient but forward-thinking.

Sean Newton gave York their reward in the 37th minute. The classier side in the contest, City worked the ball from one side to the other before interplay between Newton and Barrow down the left saw the former storm into the area and drill left-footed in to Drench’s top-right corner.

Barrow’s work was far from done and shortly after, bravely blocked a left-wing cross into the six-yard box, receiving a boot to the head for his troubles.

Striker Dyson wanted a free kick in a very advanced position just after. Chasing a ball over the top, he headed beyond Drench, whose block on his run was deemed legal.

Dyson was the width of a post away from making it 2-0 four minutes into the second half. Chasing a long clearance from the City area, he muscled left-back Joe West off the ball, cut inside the area and looked to beat Drench at his near post but struck the woodwork. Duckworth blazed over from the rebound with Drench stranded on the floor.

There were calls for calm from across the City side. Showing excessive urgency, Scott Barrow rashly sent the ball out for a goal kick, looking for a through ball after being gifted possession in space from a poor free kick. Dyson was caught offside from Cassidy’s lifted pass over the top and Wright was booked for a slightly lunging challenge on a rain-slickened surface.

From a corner, Farsley had a header off-target, Allan drove wildly over from range and – following a series of cleared crosses into the area – Walton dragged a shot wide.

City were being made to work a lot harder in the second half. Some of the difficulties were self-inflicted as an increased slackness on the ball crept in, but it was mostly down to Farsley working to win and keep possession better.

When substitute Harry Bunn – on for Dyson – skipped across the edge of the area and the ball worked to Cassidy, the striker seemed to tamely tap the ball to Drench rather than pull the trigger.

As the game approached its final 10 minutes, there was the loudest shout yet for a penalty as Farsley were convinced Kennedy had handled when he dived low to head away a cross.

Farsley got their handball shout a couple of minutes later, Barrow giving away a free kick down the right. It was delivered in over the top of the defence and substitute Dave Syers headed into Jameson’s bottom-left corner.

James Spencer came close to turning the game on its head, turning inside the area and firing against the crossbar. With a minute to play of the 90, Jameson made a strong stop at the near post to deny Syers.

Farsley: Drench, Richards, West (Parkin 74), Allan, Ellis, Clayton, Byrom, C Atkinson, Spencer, Charles (Syers 74), Walton (B Atkinson 68). Subs not used: Kelly.

Goals: Syers (83)

Yellow cards: B Robinson

York: Jameson 6, Kennedy 6, Brown 6, Newton 6, Duckworth 6, Barrow 7, McLaughlin 7, Woods 6, Wright 7, Dyson 7 (Bunn 6, 60), Cassidy 6. Subs not used: Flatters, Spratt, Gamble, Potts.

Star man: Paddy McLaughlin. Showed his ability on the ball in the first half and grit when grit was needed in the second.

Goals: Newton (37)

Yellow cards: Kennedy, Newton, Wright

Referee: Liam Marshall