TORRENTIAL rain put paid to several of the Fastpack Ltd York Sunday Morning League's fixtures, but two top-flight games survived the downpour, writes Graham Ireton.

Wigginton Grasshoppers extended their lead at the top of Division One, moving four points clear of Haxby Town after an 8-1 success at Malt Shovel.

The score-line was unreflective of an even first-half where both sides enjoyed chances before Harry Clapham finally put Wigginton ahead midway through the half after converting George Brown's low cross.

Several more Wigginton chances went begging, while at the other end, Tom Young had to be quick off his line to prevent Shovel from levelling the game on multiple occasions.

The second period however was one-way traffic. Shortly after the break, Clapham made up significant ground to tackle the unsuspecting Shovel keeper on his line and force the ball home to make it 2-0 and open the floodgates.

Cameron Mulhearn then bagged a quickfire brace before Jamie Higginbotham curled home the goal of the game from the edge of the Shovel area to make it 5-0.

A superbly struck Shovel free-kick reduced the deficit before Wiggy debutant Jon-Paul Vass slotted into the far corner to restore the visitors' five-goal lead. Late goals from Matthew Mulhearn and James Edmond sealed the win for Grasshoppers.

Haxby Town remain second after drawing 3-3 at Bishopthorpe. David Fell, Adam Chaplin and Cameron Hall all found the target for the away side.

Division Two leaders Walnut Tree were out of action and second placed K-Town United took full advantage, moving level on points at the top of the table, losing out on the summit on inferior goal difference.

Thomas Drake, Seb Farren and Mitch Sleight struck for K-Town in a 3-1 win at FC Pollington, for whom Peter Henton scored a consolation.

FC Dracula moved up to third place after defeating Selby Olympia by eight goals to one. Brad Gresham (2), Will Kemp and James Button fired Burton Leonard to a 4-2 triumph at York Medics.

A goalless first half at Wills Bar contrasted with a scoring frenzy in the second half with the hosts finally succumbing to a 3-2 defeat to Pollington Predators. Oliver Brennan (2) and Jimmy Hall scored the decisive goals for Pollington.

Despite scoring four goals, Thorpe United Blues fell at home to a determined Rawcliffe United side who came back from 3-2 down at the break to record a 5-4 victory at the final whistle.

Ben Littlefield (2), Corey Littlefield and Geln Littlewood all struck for the home side in vain with a hat-trick from Sam Sarvent-Smith and goals from Jamie Phillips and Jordan Lissenburg securing the points for Rawcliffe.