SCOTT BARROW scored his first goal in York City colours to help his new employers to a 3-1 victory over Chorley and a winning start to the National League North season.

Paddy McLaughlin opened the scoring in a first half dominated by Chorley, who will rue their missed chances from the opening 45.

But Barrow's strike just a few minutes after the break proved the precursor to a much-improved second half and Michael Woods put the result beyond doubt with just over five minutes remaining.

Lewis Reilly pulled one back for Chorley from the penalty spot after McLaughlin was ruled to have blocked a shot with his hands.

With Boston United, Guiseley and Telford winning by greater margins, York end the evening in fourth, but that is of little concern this early in the season.

Steve Watson made just one change to the side that won 1-0 at Warrington Rylands at the weekend, with Matty Brown - York's most recent signing - coming in for Kieran Kennedy, who dropped to the bench.

The subs bench also took on a similar look. Only Alex Wollerton was not included for Chorley's visit.

Of the players who started in the last meeting between these sides at Bootham Crescent - in January 2019 - only Paddy McLaughlin featured in the October 2020 starting 11. Tuesday's captain, Sean Newton, was an unused substitute that day.

Chorley had almost as many changes from the last meeting, with Jamie Vermiglio fielding three from the Magpies' 4-1 win.

Goalscorers against Gateshead in the Cup on Saturday Harry Cardwell and Lewis Reilly both had starting berths. The two summer signings bring League 2 experience to the side, with Cardwell arriving from Grimsby Town and Reilly making eight appearances at Crewe Alexandra.

Midfielder Sam Walker, who arrived on Tuesday as Chorley's 15th signing ahead of this season, started on the bench.

Chorley were looking to make a quick impression on the game and the towering Brown’s first real involvement was a good one inside the first four minutes to cut out a lofted ball destined for Cardwell.

When a scuffed shot landed at Reilly’s feet in the six-yard box, Pete Jameson did well to shepherd the striker away from goal until defender arrived in numbers to clear.

Good, quick interplay through the middle gave Sean Miller a clear sight of Jameson’s goal but his shot was blocked behind.

McLaughlin put York ahead in the 13th minute. Andy Halls’ poor throw-in went straight to Olly Dyson in the middle of the park and, following a patient nine-pass move – involving McLaughlin – at the edge of York’s defensive third, Jake Cassidy was sent haring down the right wing.

His low cross was not dealt with and McLaughlin gleefully smashed home from five yards.

But after the goal, Chorley seemed to regain control and looked the more driven of the sides. York were chasing shadows to a degree and, 10 minutes after McLaughlin’s opener, Reilly struck the outside of Jameson’s right-hand post having latched onto a defence-splitting lay-off into the area.

There was a brief hiatus in play when Sean Miller went down uncomfortably – eventually going off for Walker – as McLaughlin wriggled away from him near the halfway line and won a corner.

Scott Barrow had an effort deflected for a second corner, from which Robbie Tinkler blazed over. Neither was an easy chance.

Chorley were still enjoying the majority of pressure but had yet to make a tangible impression as the first 45 minutes ticked away.

This was partly thanks to good last-ditch defence – Brown and Tinkler making notable contributions – and partly thanks to poor finishing.

Mike Calveley had a good headed chance, in the clear in the area, but put it wide, while Harvey Smith drilled straight at Jameson from range.

The last actions of the first half came following a rash Michael Duckworth challenge right on the edge of the area. The right-back picked up a caution but will have been pleased to see Chorley unable to make it count, York’s red wall of defence keeping them out until the whistle.

Barrow made it 2-0 four minutes after the restart. Cutting in from the left, he collected the loose ball from a challenge on Michael Woods and he curled right-footed into Matt Urwin’s bottom-left corner.

A Chorley corner just before the hour looked promising for the visitors but Tinkler did well to clear the initial set piece before taking a driven effort to the solar plexus to keep Jameson untroubled.

The introduction of Harry Bunn injected some dynamism into York’s attack and within five minutes of him coming on for Olly Dyson, Duckworth had a shot on the turn parried away and Brown had a header superbly blocked on the line by Reilly.

Chorley attacks were becoming rarer as York gained the upper hand in the midfield battle, though Jameson had to produce a fantastic save in the 79th minute to deny Elliot Newby, palming away at full stretch from his top-left corner.

Woods made the result secure in the 84th minute, slamming home unmarked inside the area after Duckworth cut back the tireless Cassidy's chipped cross.

York: Jameson 7, Duckworth 6, Tinkler 7, Brown 7, Newton 7, Barrow 6, Wright 6, Woods 6, McLaughlin 7, Dyson 5 (Bunn 7, 61), Cassidy 6. Subs not used: Flatters, Spratt, Kennedy, Potts.

Star man: Matty Brown. Constantly issued commands from the back, won headers, and, importantly, hardly put a foot wrong at the back.

Goals: McLaughlin (13), Barrow (49), Woods (84)

Yellow cards: Duckworth

Chorley: Urwin, Smith, Halls, Leather, Baines, Miller (Walker 32), Calveley, Cardwell (Rodwell-Grant 67), Reilly, Newby, Shenton (Birch 76). Subs not used: Dutton, Baxter.

Goals: Reilly (90+4 pen)

Yellow cards: Halls