TADCASTER Albion were knocked out of the FA Trophy by a 3-1 home defeat to Marine, writes John Clothier.

Simon Russell got the Brewers back on level terms with Northern Premier League north/west division compatriots Marine after the visitors took an early lead through Michael Howard.

But a brace from former Curzon Ashton striker Niall Cummins - with Taddy reduced to 10 men before half-time - saw Marine through to the second qualifying round.

Albion are back in league action tonight (7.45pm) at home to Pontefract Collieries.

At the weekend, Tadcaster were without Jack Vann (calf strain) while Ify Ofoegbu started on the bench.

James Brannigan tried a low shot from 25 yards but it was well wide of the mark, while both Dan Hartley and Ioan Evans did well to contain Mo Touray on the byline.

However, the breakthrough came with just seven minutes played when Brannigan and Joyce combined well with Howard slotting home from close range.

Junayd Pandor tested keeper Bayleigh Passant on nine minutes, whilst Bailey Thompson could only skim a cross from Kevin Santos, but in essence, the opening quarter-hour was all Mariners.

Touray put in an opportunist effort from distance easily taken by Michael Ingham, but almost doubled the score on 17 minutes with a low tight-angled shot which Ingham just managed to divert with his foot.

The equaliser arrived on 22 minutes. Russell picked up Pandor’s cross, played a one-two with Santos and from the six-yard line thundered the ball into the net.

Evans headed wide from a long Corey Roper free kick but as the Mariners broke back, Touray let fly from within the area, only to see Ingham quickly down low, clutching the goal bound ball at the second attempt, and Howard had a go from 15 yards but was wide.

However, the visitors went back into the lead on 37 minutes when a cleverly disguised 30-yard free kick found its way to the far post where Cummins was waiting to nod home.

Kain Rogerson’s curling free kick was just wide as half-time beckoned but then he found himself dismissed for what looked a hard but fair tackle on Josh Hmami.

On 50 minutes, Touray rounded Ingham and blasted high with the goal at his mercy.

With just over an hour played, Marine broke from defence and Cummins pounced on Ingham's save from Touray to score.

With eight minutes left on the clock, Omar Sanyang stung Passant’s palms with a thunderbolt from the edge of the box and Pandor had a header from the corner nodded off the line.

In the NPL north/west division, Ben Clappison scored for Pickering Town in a 4-1 home loss to Mossley.

The Pikes visit Ramsbottom United this evening (7.45pm).

Selby Town suffered their second defeat of the new Northern Counties East League division one season with a 3-2 home loss to Swallownest, writes Phil Dearnley.

The Robins are kept off the bottom of the early table by goal difference alone.

In truth, they got what they deserved, generally lacking in creativity, bite and defensive solidity, their long balls over the top meat and drink for the Swallownest back line.

Selby suffered a blow immediately before kick- off with George Bissett pulling out. Cam Collins came in, forming part of a three-man defence with Ryan Gothard and Brett Lucas. Nick Kennedy and Jon-Paul Vass operated as wing-backs. In midfield, Ryan Cooper replaced the injured Brad Freer.

The game started well for the Robins as a Zeph Thomas shot from range sailed just wide, but it was not long before Swallownest took control.

A good passing move played in Nathan Morritt, who gave goalkeeper Dylan Parkin no chance.

Swallownest increased their lead when a corner routine was played into the box and Matthew Morton outjumped his marking defenders to head in just after the half-hour.

After all their struggles, the Robins showed what they are capable of with three minutes to go to the break. A terrific passing move carved open the Swallownest defence leaving Charlie Clamp in the clear to blast his shot home.

Town were looking more like their old selves after the break and were soon on level terms. The charging Mark Simpson drew defenders towards him before playing the ball inside for Liam Flanagan to net.

But with six minutes to go, Swallownest scored the winner. Selby always looked out of shape as Swallownest worked the ball to Thomas Cropper. He tiptoed past two defenders before beating Dylan Parkin with ease.

Skegness Town visit The Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium tonight (7.45pm).