THE big game of the day in the York Minster Engineering League premier division went the way of Wigginton Grasshoppers, who ran out 3-2 winners at home to Old Malton St Mary’s.

In a game where there was a plethora of chances, Wigginton moved into the lead after 26 minutes when Josh Luckhurst headed home from a long throw-in from Dale Holding.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Steve Baxter got between two Wiggy defenders to stab the ball into the hosts’ net just two minutes later.

Hoppers came the closest to adding to the scoreline before the break with Matt Tiplady striking the bar before Billy Chapman pulled off a reaction save to deny Sam Gough a goal from the follow-up.

The second period saw both sides carve out opportunities, with St Mary’s striking the crossbar before a number of opportunities for home side Hoppers went begging.

Wigginton finally broke the deadlock on the hour mark when Jordan Holt’s curling free kick was met at the far post by a magnificent header from Holding.

Seven minutes later and Wigginton moved further in front as an inviting ball from Jamie Green was fired home by Max Bauer to give the hosts a decisive 3-1 advantage.

Malton piled forward to try and bridge the gap and Holt was forced to make a couple of impressive saves to deny them.

Further efforts from the Mill Lane side failed to turn into goals and they were given a very late scare when Luckhurst headed into his own goal to make it 3-2.

It was too little too late for the visitors though as Wiggy collected a well-earned three points at the final whistle.

Dunnington made it seven points out of nine and moved to the top of the division after putting 10 goals past Kirkbymoorside without reply.

The 10-0 win gives them a seven-goal advantage over second-placed Wiggy, and eight goals over Thorpe United.

Tom Anderson led the scoring with four goals, with Dan Lister also collecting a hat-trick of his own.

Callum Richardson, Harry Lynne and Alex Martin completed their haul.

Thorpe United joined Dunnington and Wigginton on seven points with a 2-1 defeat of Hemingbrough United.

First-half goals from James Barrett and Mike Braithwaite saw Thorpe victorious despite a second-half consolation from Johnathan Wileman.

Dringhouses moved up to fourth position after defeating Easingwold Town 3-1 in a fiery game at Bull Hill.

The result leaves Easingwold at the foot of the table on -6 points, having lost their two opening fixtures.

There were cards aplenty for both sides but goals from Matthew Mulhearn, Dave Watson and Ben Locke saw the visitors leave with the points.

Scott Nicholas bagged a brace for Tadcaster Magnets as they gained a decisive 5-1 victory at Huntington Rovers.

Tom Charlesworth and Henry Copley also netted for Magnets, with James Edmond pulling one back from the penalty spot for the home side.

Strensall Tigers came back from 2-1 down at half-time to earn a point from their clash with F1 Racing. Alex Clark, Lucas Hindle and Jonah Tomlin-Kent struck for F1 with Harry Bissett, Lee Bunce and Josh Winn forcing a 3-3 draw.