TADCASTER Albion have made it through to the first qualifying round of the FA Cup following a 2-1 win at Guisborough Town, writes John Clothier.

Bailey Thompson put the Brewers in front in the first but the galvanised hosts got back on level terms just seven minutes later through Joe Ferguson.

But Ify Ofoegbu was on hand to restore Taddy's lead before the break and they held on set up a home tie with Litherland REMYCA on Tuesday, Septmber 22 (7.45pm).

Taddy's league Northern Premier League north/west division campaign kicks off with a trip to Trafford on Saturday.

Apart from the injured Marco Basic and absent Kain Rogerson, manager Paul Quinn had a full squad from which to choose for the trip to the Northern League division one side in his first competitive match since March 14.

It could have been a dream start for the Brewers as Thompson went close twice in the second minute but keeper Aaron Steavens had other ideas, first winning a one-on-one with the Brewers striker and then watching the follow-up swerve away from the top corner of the net.

That set the tone but next it was the Albion shot stopper Michael Ingham flying through the air as the Priorymen’s captain Joshua Rowbottom nodded goalward.

Harry Thompson fired over from a 22-yard free kick, while Thompson got on the end of a chip from Corey Roper, but it again was just wide.

Albion were in front on 20 minutes. Jack Vann found Kevin Santos in space and he put a defence-splitter into the box as Thompson rose highest to guide the header into the corner of the net.

If anything, going behind spurred on the home side, and they equalised on 27 minutes. Vann, under considerable pressure, was unable to turn as the home side pressed into the six-yard box and his pass back to keeper Michael Ingham was adjudged to have handled the ball. Ferguson thundered into the top corner from the free kick.

With the match flowing from end to end, Albion were thwarted on the half-hour by the legs of Steavens as Ofoegbu fired in from close range after a long goal kick from Ingham.

Taddy kept up the pressure and with almost the last kick of the half they went back in front. A shot from Simon Russell was cleared only as far as Ofoegbu, who swivelled and smashed the ball quite spectacularly into the far corner.

The opening half had been fairly equal, but the second would be more so.

Thompson showed some beautiful skill as he put Santos away but Steavens was well-placed while Milne raced out of defence to put Thompson through with a delightful short pass. He had the ball in the net but it was offside.

Ngoe charged down the left flank and from the by line crossed the ball into the box but there was nobody there to provide the finishing touch.

As the match entered its closing stages Guisborough threw everything forward in an effort to take the match to a penalty shoot-out.

On 81 minutes Ingham cut out a long free kick as it landed in a packed box. That signalled the introduction of Dan Hartley to provide added power in defence and see them over the line.

Jackson Jowett's ninth-minute goal gave Pickering Town a 1-0 win in their final game of pre-season at Hemsworth Miners Welfare. The Pikes host Workington on Saturday.